What has Bags of Personality??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would you say are the top 10 cichlids based solely on personality and interaction with its keeper?
Also-
Does keeping a solo cichlid have benefits in this regard??

If ya want interaction and personality go with the medium to large new world cichlids. I have a 75 with a single green terror and he acts just like a dog. Wags his tail when he sees you, begs for food, and eats out of peoples hand. One of the best fish i have ever owned.

I have a socofoli cichlid and he is amazing he loves when people walk to the tank he always looks up at the hood for food, but I also love my jack Dempsey he acts just like the socofoli. So I would recommend both of these fish.

1. Oscars
2. Cons
3. Umbee
4. Red terror
5. Green terror

I could go on and on about fish that interact and have personality. But the top would be oscars.

1. Oscars
2. Cons
3. Umbee
4. Red terror
5. Green terror

I could go on and on about fish that interact and have personality. But the top would be oscars.

You're gonna hate me for this but oscars are drama queens! If rupaul and Justin bieber had a baby, it would be an Oscar! They sulk and wonder around aimlessly and IMO are not fun fish to own.

Let the hating begin!!!!

You're gonna hate me for this but oscars are drama queens! If rupaul and Justin bieber had a baby, it would be an Oscar! They sulk and wonder around aimlessly and IMO are not fun fish to own.

Let the hating begin!!!!

I own a big fat crybaby oscar and can't argue that at all. I've been told they are more interactive when they are kept alone. They are semi-interactive when food is involved.

Cons? Really? Not the worst, but hardly what I would call a fish with a lot of personality. I thnk clown loaches have more personality than cons.

Based on the fish I own, here are some of the more interactive and less interactive fish:

More:
Pike(s)
Chocolate
Oscar
Geophagus

Less:
Cons
Rainbow
and other small cichlids

I've heard that red devils have a lot of personality.

I agree with 5x5 on the chocolate cichlid. Mine photobombs any pic i take of my 125. He shoves other fish out of the way to be in front at feeding time or if somebody is at the tank.

1. Oscars
2. Cons
3. Umbee
4. Red terror
5. Green terror

And you've had all these fish through maturity? Your basing that list on what, and what all the other fish you've had that you can go on and on about?

Last edited:
And you've had all these fish through maturity? Your basing that list on what, and what all the other fish you've had that you can go on and on about?

No. Im basing that list on how long i have had them. And i forgot red devils. And i agree that oscars are drama queens haha. But why bag on me?? I made that list on my only 2 years of keeping cichlids. Im no big experienced keeper. Im just going by my current experience, wake up on the wrong side of the bed??

I own a big fat crybaby oscar and can't argue that at all. I've been told they are more interactive when they are kept alone. They are semi-interactive when food is involved.

Cons? Really? Not the worst, but hardly what I would call a fish with a lot of personality. I thnk clown loaches have more personality than cons.

Based on the fish I own, here are some of the more interactive and less interactive fish:

More:
Pike(s)
Chocolate
Oscar
Geophagus

Less:
Cons
Rainbow
and other small cichlids

I've heard that red devils have a lot of personality.

Doing some research on some of those, and am confused- I believed that all cichlids liked a high ph, but it seems chocolates like low to neutral ph. Is this correct?

I have 3 oscars and love them. Drama queens? Maybe. Interactive definitely. Aggressive, not really, but predatory definitely.

I love my little O too. I don't have much experience, he's still small, but I like the sulking, it's cute. I'm excited to watch him grow/interact. Severums also one of my faves. I have a fem, 5 in. looks like she's wearing blue eyeshadow =) she has personality too, they all do in some ways, imo.

Back
Top Bottom