Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
what is the best cichlid food?

I currently have the crappy hikari cichlid staple mini pellet. It doesn't do that much for the colors of my fish. I also feed some crappy tropical flakes that I got cheap. I'm looking for a really good food that's good nutritionally for them but also that will show their colors really good. I'm not worried about cost so much, as long as it's reasonable. I'd prefer pellets as they aren't as messy. I'll probably buy a big package to save money in the long run anyway. I need food that's good for severums, green terrors and jack dempseys. thanks

Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I feed the hikari medium pellets to my cichlids. Sometimes I also give them frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, or zuchhini. I try flake once in a while, but they make a big mess with flake.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I started using NLS (New Life Spectrum) about 6 months ago to see if it was any better than Hikari pellets. According to the guaranteed analysis, the only difference between the two is that NLS has less crude fat (1% less) and a little less fat (also 1%).

I use a number of different flake foods, which include Hikari, Wardley, TetraMin and Aquarian. Among these are spurilina and color enhancers. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp are also included. If they are fortunate, they will also have spurilina disks and shrimp pellets which are intended for my bottom dwellers.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
i see i see. varierty is important...hmm what do you guys think of hikari gold or the bio gold? found some bio gold on ebay for cheap $
Old 09-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use Omega One and NLS, along with various freeze-dried and frozen foods. I used to use Hikari cichlid foods (still use the First Bites for fry) and think it's pretty good stuff too.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cichlid, food, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com