what is the difference between a blood red parrot and a jelly bean parrot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
My lfs has both of these fish, they look exactly the same other then size, and color, the jellybeans are pale whitish color and fairly small, the blood red parrots are larger and bright orange. How big do jellybeans grow compared to blood reds? Also, are the jellybeans hybrids like the parrots are? i cant find much information, most sources say that jellybeans are dyed blood parrots but the ones at my lfs dont seem to be dyed.

Jelly Beans are a cross between a Blood Parrot and a Pink Convict, and yes they'll all hybrids.

Some will use this stock to dye to they are a much lighter color that reds.

Ok so in relation to blood parrots, who get very very large. How big do the jellybeans get? Also would they be compatible with each other?

I've personally never seen or heard of one over 4". They have a little more aggression than their Blood counterparts due to being bred with a Convict. They are more than compatable with each other but why you would want one is another thread about fishkeeping ethics.

well i have the white jellybeans also knowen as cotton candys. i hapen to think they are very prity fish there fins are long and flowing. no i would not breed them with another fish but i do like them by them selfs. mine have laid eggs and have very prity babys. i no they are a hybrid but they are beautiful fish. i dont believe in inner breeding of fish but whats done is done . and thease beautiful white jellybeans should be kept by themselfs as to not interbreed any more. let them be a fish of there own kind and guive them a happy home . God bless all fish

personally i like the look of blood parrots and jellybeans, most fish now are bred to look a specific way so its not much different then that in my opinion. i dont think jellybeans would breed with blood parrots, the size difference seems a little too much.

They are the same species. Jelly beans are just a trade name used for dyed parrots.

Back
Top Bottom