Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What is the highest temp I can safely raise my (mostly) African Cichlid tank to?

I need to raise the temperature due to one of the fish having Ick. Mostly African and one SA which is the one who is showing the Ick. Right now I'm going to raise it from 78F to 80F, how high can I safely gradually raise it to? I've decided to just raise the temp instead of medicating the whole aquarium (55G). Also the tank does have a long air stone on one side, will I need to add more?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
To my knowledge, you treat ick on cichlids like other fish in this hobby.
Raise temp to 86F - 88F over the next 12hrs. Airstone, Daily PWC's and gravel vacs are a must. Keeping clean water and substrate goes a long way to treating ick.

Keep the temp up even a week after the last sigh of Ick.... Then you lower to your Normal tank temp over 12hrs.

Rest assured if this advice on treating ick on cichlids is off, plenty of members will chime in. Good Luck!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Raise temp to 86F - 88F over the next 12hrs. Airstone, Daily PWC's and gravel vacs are a must. Keeping clean water and substrate goes a long way to treating ick.

Keep the temp up even a week after the last sigh of Ick.... Then you lower to your Normal tank temp over 12hrs!
J is spot on with his advice, the fish will be fine at temps of 86F for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #4

I just directly added around 7 tablespoons of aquarium salt and then realized by reading something that I shouldn't have. Does anyone know whether 7 tablespoons aquarium salt directly added to about 50g water at once will be harmful?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsamrlx17
I just directly added around 7 tablespoons of aquarium salt and then realized by reading something that I shouldn't have. Does anyone know whether 7 tablespoons aquarium salt directly added to about 50g water at once will be harmful?
That isnt harmful at all no worries
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think it's harmful.
I just finished treating ick on my African tank. The whole tank was infested quite badly.
I raised the temp and put in about 35 tablespoon of salt (over 48hrs) and the ick was visibly gone in like 3 days. Its a 55g.
Didn't lose a fish but will still keep up the high temp for about a week.
The only thing unhappy are my plants

Good luck with yours.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Good to know you got it cleared up that way, thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsamrlx17 View Post
I need to raise the temperature due to one of the fish having Ick. Mostly African and one SA which is the one who is showing the Ick. Right now I'm going to raise it from 78F to 80F, how high can I safely gradually raise it to? I've decided to just raise the temp instead of medicating the whole aquarium (55G). Also the tank does have a long air stone on one side, will I need to add more?

To save a long post as to the misconceptions vs. correct way to treat your tank, please read the article in this link Understanding and Treating Ich or White Spot so you can get a better understanding of what the optional treatments are as well as just using heat. It best describes the life cycle of the disease and what happens to each phase of the parasite while under treatment.
Also, keep in mind when raising the temp that as you warm the water you decrease the dissolved oxygen so be prepared to increase your aeration as you raise the temp

Good luck

Tags
african, african cichlid, cichlid, ich, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com