What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a new Chiclid and it has a small thin thing right in front of his anal (I think) fin. What is it? Is it dangerous?

image-4084747994.jpg

It won't really show up in pictures.
He also swims kind of start... stop, start...stop.

Aquarist1234 said:
Yes it's like a white piece of hair.

Prob intestinal parasites. Lots of different treatments from medications to garlic that all start and end with maintaining excellent water quality and reducing stress on the sick fish.

TheGrza said:
Prob intestinal parasites. Lots of different treatments from medications to garlic that all start and end with maintaining excellent water quality and reducing stress on the sick fish.

Do you think it could be stress as well? I just got him like an hour ago.

Aquarist1234 said:
Do you think it could be stress as well? I just got him like an hour ago.

What else do you have in the tank? How long has the tank been established? Water parameters? All cichlids have intestinal parasites but external factors can cause them to multiply into unmanageable numbers. Stress could be a cause. Is the fish taking food?

TheGrza said:
What else do you have in the tank? How long has the tank been established? Water parameters? All cichlids have intestinal parasites but external factors can cause them to multiply into unmanageable numbers. Stress could be a cause. Is the fish taking food?

In the tank I also have an Acei Cichlid, an Electric Yellow Lab, and a Peacock Cichlid. My tank just finished cycling. I have perfect parems.

Also what are you feeding it. Thats an aratus cichlid from lake
Malawi, your mix of fish is apropreate, just know most of those fish are primaraly herbavores.

Jacobsal91 said:
Also what are you feeding it. Thats an aratus cichlid from lake
Malawi, your mix of fish is apropreate, just know most of those fish are primaraly herbavores.

I'm feeding it omega one cichlid pellets.

The aurates should be the tough guy out of that group. Do you see him getting chased around? Were all these fish added at the same time? Size differences? Any other fish with stringy feces?

TheGrza said:
The aurates should be the tough guy out of that group. Do you see him getting chased around? Were all these fish added at the same time? Size differences? Any other fish with stringy feces?

He is only chased by the yellow lab, but the aurate provokes him. They were all added at the same time, and the biggest size dif. is roughly half an inch. No other stringy feces.

The cichlid pellets should be alright, that type of food is pretty well balanced. Aratus's are quite agressive mine is half the size of the other cochlids in my tank and hes the oldest and holding his own. For the record you got a female, not sure if anyone said that or if you already knew

garfy said:
That's not necessarily a female as all auratus start out looking like this.The males change colour when they hit sexual maturity.

When are they mature?

In my experience at around 3-4" or a year give or take a bit old.
Keep a very careful eye on this fish as they are highly aggressive and can and will kill tankmates with similar colouring.In my personal experience two males will not co-exist in the same tank and at least 3 females are required for one male or he will harass they to death.Females can be just as aggressive and will kill each other females of the same species and similar coloured females.
When they mature it can be like a bomb going off.Not always but I have seen it first hand.
I started with 4 and have one left.He is my tank boss and I have much larger fish than him.

garfy said:
Keep a very careful eye on this fish as they are highly aggressive and can and will kill tankmates with similar colouring.In my personal experience two males will not co-exist in the same tank and at least 3 females are required for one male or he will harass they to death.Females can be just as aggressive and will kill each other females of the same species and similar coloured females.
When they mature it can be like a bomb going off.Not always but I have seen it first hand.
I started with 4 and have one left.He is my tank boss and I have much larger fish than him.

Ok I'll watch him, thanks.

TheGrza said:

Oh ya, I forgot to say he eats like a champ.

garfy said:

Will my auratus work with a yellow lab, peacock, and an acei?

Back
Top Bottom