What is this devil cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a pseudotropheus socolofi. They run a large spectrum of temperments, sometimes they are absolute devils and sometimes they're just a wonderful fish, unfortunately you got a meanie.

That's not a P. socolofi: the body shape looks more like a Tropheops of some type.

Can you get another pic of the fish?

I'm changing my answer to "I'm not sure." I was looking at my socolofi last night and when I saw the pic of your fish again, I realized the eyes and mouth structure ae different.

?Saulos's Mbuna (Pseudotropheus saulosi):
Juveniles are all born bright yellow and the males transform to a blue with black barring as they approach sexual maturity.
or
?Elongate Mbuna (Pseudotropheus elongatus):
There are several types of P. elongatus. There is one variant which is extremely aggressive and should not be considered for normal compatibility and he has no bars across his forehead - solid colour. Any of the P. elongatus variants with stripes across the forehead may be considered OK.
(quote)
"I purchased this fish at the same time as a livingstoni, a yellow lab, a moori and a red fin. They all got along really well for the first 3 weeks (280 liter tank). Then the elongatus started digging tunnels big time! When he got the 5 caves the way he wanted them, he claimed them all as his territory. He has become an extremely aggressive fish. He is half the size of the Livingstoni and the Moori, but bullies them anyway. This fish is really nice looking, but due to the endless fin nipping, biting and fighting I'm going to try and sell it back to the pet shop."
Contributed by Brad Heppler

Melanochromis joanjohnsonae that looks right, or better than any Pseudotropheus sp I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom