What is this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha they have good taste. It's surprising how much personality each sunfish has, it's cool, my big male longear that I have in my room if he sees movement he's up at the front of the tank investigating

Yeah I think I might setup a 90 gallon native tank because sunfish are so friendly and they can be colorful

Yeah I think I might setup a 90 gallon native tank because sunfish are so friendly and they can be colorful

Yea I saw that thread, and yes they are difinitely friendly, if you go with sunfish I would suggest getting longear sunfish they have the coolest colors out there besides maybe orange-spotted sunfish but they are smaller. You could actually get a couple of different types of sunfish to have some diversity.

You could also get a Redfin pickerel as they get around 10" or so, and I have seen videos of a sunfish community with a pickerel. Eventually that's my plan. I'm a bit of a native junkie if you will

Check this somewhat Native tank out. It has bluegill fry in it

Attachments

• image-1371344633.jpg
    image-1371344633.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 95
Dang how small are they! Haha and yes I think you could put a largemouth in there and when he gets too big just filet him and fry em up! I have a bass too and he is pretty cool and growing like crazy, mine likes to keep on the move so having a good sized tank is a must

I've got a small sunfish I caught out of local lake too. Unfortunately, i don't find him all that entertaining. :/

Well that's odd. What type of sunfish is it? And do you go up to the tank and feed it often?

I was fishing in the little polish area where the water builds up after it goes down my waterfall and there was a small bass I it, so I went and put it in my 20 while I setup my 90 for it. Here is a pic

Ooh umm I have absolutely no idea. I caught it from underneath a dock. :/ it's green and has yellowish stripes? I'm not home right now so I can't get a picture of him. :/

Thank you! The little sucker cut me when I was trying to get a better picture. Sorry!

Attachments

• image-2284521848.jpg
    image-2284521848.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 93
I tried to but because of my hot pink walls I can't a picture! And I tried to get a flat on my hand shot but.... He cut me. Again :/ i'm sorry I'm being like frustrating as heck the fish is just being a little devil :p

I tried to but because of my hot pink walls I can't a picture! And I tried to get a flat on my hand shot but.... He cut me. Again :/ i'm sorry I'm being like frustrating as heck the fish is just being a little devil :p

Haha it's no problem, I just really want to know what he is! But I think he just has it out for you haha

Just whenever you do end up getting a good pic post it and ill be glad to ID him, that's if you catch him in a good mood lol

Well it took getting him onto a towel and yet ANOTHER cut on my hand.. But here we go!

image-1050828785.jpg

My little one! Only 3 inches or so.

Any idea how to tell genders? Would love to give it a name!

I think that may be white crappie not 100 % sure caught some like this may be a black crappie but its a crappie of some kind

Back
Top Bottom