What is this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it took getting him onto a towel and yet ANOTHER cut on my hand.. But here we go!

My little one! Only 3 inches or so.

Any idea how to tell genders? Would love to give it a name!

Haha you're welcome! Hmm that pattern is throwing me off, I have seen it before but I can't think of the name. It makes me think of a warmouth but there's no horizontal marks on the gill plate and the mouth is too small, then a pumpkinseed sunfish comes to mind but I don't think it's that either. I can't tell what the colors are from the pic, what exactly are the colors? I will do some more research because its bothering me that I don't know.

Here is a couple pics for comparison
This is a warmouth
image-955383947.jpg

Pumpkinseed
image-1024781354.jpg

Definitely the second picture. Ugh sorry the lighting in my room is driving me nuts its so dim and them got pink walls make it so pink! And it makes my tank (the one he's in - no lights overhead) makes the tank look like it hasn't been cleaned in months :(

EDIT: maybe not actually.... Let's do this again...

Definitely the second picture. Ugh sorry the lighting in my room is driving me nuts its so dim and them got pink walls make it so pink! And it makes my tank (the one he's in - no lights overhead) makes the tank look like it hasn't been cleaned in months :(

EDIT: maybe not actually.... Let's do this again...

Ok here! This was the one I was thinking about..

A bantam sunfish
image-3785452450.jpg

I think this is what he is. Also I am not really familiar with this particular species for gender ID, but now that we know what he might be, it won't be to hard to dig a little and find out

Got some more

Attachments

• image-3591170478.jpg
    image-3591170478.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3329953630.jpg
    image-3329953630.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image-4162673546.jpg
    image-4162673546.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 51
Ok here! This was the one I was thinking about..

A bantam sunfish

I think this is what he is. Also I am not really familiar with this particular species for gender ID, but now that we know what he might be, it won't be to hard to dig a little and find out

The body shape looks correct but the coloring is way off :/ it's green and yellow. Can that fish come in yellow and green?

The body shape looks correct but the coloring is way off :/ it's green and yellow. Can that fish come in yellow and green?

No bantam's are plain like that. Hmm ok so he has the color of that pumpkinseed? He might just be a hybrid of some sort is all I can think.

K i just typed in yellow and green sunfish in google and this is the fish. Apparently it's just a plain old "green sunfish"

Attachments

• image-500551415.jpg
    image-500551415.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2782049605.jpg
    image-2782049605.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 59
K i just typed in yellow and green sunfish in google and this is the fish. Apparently it's just a plain old "green sunfish"

Well that first picture is a hybrid between a pumpkinseed and a green sunfish. But that second picture is a true green sunfish

Well that first picture is a hybrid between a pumpkinseed and a green sunfish. But that second picture is a true green sunfish

Okay them I'm pretty sure it's the hybrid. It doesn't have the bright orange on it.
Then again, it IS only a little 3" tiny guy

Okay them I'm pretty sure it's the hybrid. It doesn't have the bright orange on it.
Then again, it IS only a little 3" tiny guy

Green sunfish will have a slight white edge on their fins as well and it will show on them as little as an inch. But hybrids are always interesting themselves in an aquarium. If you want him to become more personable stop feeding him minnows for awhile and offer him any type of worms when you feed him so he becomes familiar with you and food then once he is more comfortable give him all the minnows he wants

Back
Top Bottom