What is this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peacockbass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can figure out what this fish is I caught out of my pond. I'll try and get a better pic when it gets less shy.

Attachments

• image-214984006.jpg
    image-214984006.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 158
  • image-706263634.jpg
    image-706263634.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 164
  • image-2077543762.jpg
    image-2077543762.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 171
Looks like a native species. Bluegill or crappie. Bass maybe. Where did you get it?

Last edited:
Some kind of sunfish. Definitely put it back, you're not only risking the lives of any other fish in the tank, but of the sunfish itself

Thats a common bluegill But depending where you live it goes by different names

That is definitely a green sunfish, they can be very aggressive and with a bigger mouth than most sunfish species it will eat just about anything. Keep an eye on him.

Yeah a jack Dempsey and an African cichlid and a pleco

Then it should be fine, I have a couple along with other species of sunfish, they tend to be more aggressive to their own species or if the other fish are much smaller than they are. I have some baby ones about .5-1 inch and they are funny if I come up to the tank they swim to me and stare and will chase anyone else away that tries to stare at me too

Hahaha my blue gills did that. I had to get rid of them but they had personalities those were the only fish I had that my parents liked.

Hahaha my blue gills did that. I had to get rid of them but they had personalities those were the only fish I had that my parents liked.

Haha they have good taste. It's surprising how much personality each sunfish has, it's cool, my big male longear that I have in my room if he sees movement he's up at the front of the tank investigating

Back
Top Bottom