Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is this fish?

There is a fish in a mixed african cichlid tank at my local LFS. He's orange with black patches. I know I've seen them somewhere but can't think of the name. I'd really like to get a pure one, anyone got an id?

Old 03-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like an OB.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks similar. But this one didn't have blue tinted fins and I don't think he was a peacock.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek View Post
Personlly I dont have one nor do I know much about them but if you have a pond and would like to contribute by being a moderator of the outdoor pond forum please private message me or e-mail me.
There are OB Peacocks and also OB Mbuna. Either way you look at them they are hybrids so the spots and coloration isn't always the same.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
There are OB Peacocks and also OB Mbuna. Either way you look at them they are hybrids so the spots and coloration isn't always the same.

Andrew curious as to your source on this - I've never seen OB Zebra (mbuna) referred to as being a hybrid. If they are, they must hybridize in nature, as they were identified as endemic to Lake Malawi and were first identified back in the 1800s.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Andrew curious as to your source on this - I've never seen OB Zebra (mbuna) referred to as being a hybrid. If they are, they must hybridize in nature, as they were identified as endemic to Lake Malawi and were first identified back in the 1800s.
OB anything is a hybrid crossed between two species. A friend of mine actually crosses the red zebra with the blue zebra to get OB zebras. I actually have a couple of them.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
OB anything is a hybrid crossed between two species. A friend of mine actually crosses the red zebra with the blue zebra to get OB zebras. I actually have a couple of them.

Once again, I'm curious as to your source. Since the OB Zebra has a given scientific name, it isn't considered a hybrid by scientists, at least not at this point. I am curious to know if there is discussion to the contrary going on somewhere. I don't doubt that you can get OB coloration by crossing two species, but they are considered to be a distinct species as well. If they weren't, they wouldn't have a scientific name.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've also actually read the ob are hybrids. It's very confusing reading it all online, that's why I was getting confused wether he's a peacock, or a mbuna, or what exactly they are.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypride View Post
I've also actually read the ob are hybrids. It's very confusing reading it all online, that's why I was getting confused wether he's a peacock, or a mbuna, or what exactly they are.
I'm not doubting anyone - Andrew is a very knowledgeable cichlid keeper, which is why I was hoping he could provide source information. OB, which stands for orange blotch, simply refers the coloration pattern of the fish. Something I've never really understood, since the "Blueberry" Zebra is considered to be an OB Zebra. I do know that any type of Zebra's can and do frequently interbreed, and at the scientific level there is a huge amount of discussion about which are actually species and which are the result of hybridization. As Andrew mentioned, you can get that same color pattern in lots of different fish, like Zebras, Fuellborni, peacocks, etc.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yea I can't friendly argue with you about the fact of them not being in the lake. But who says what is true along the lines of what two species make the OB in the lake. I came across a spread sheet showing the different fish that can be bred together to get OB in captivity and I'm currently looking for it.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com