Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
What is this on my frantosa

I think it is hole in the head ;( Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398382181.193975.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	234692
__________________

__________________
jahonnimyfav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
squirrilah fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
That does look like it when I starts. Remove carbon, do lots of water changes, get meds, and see if you can get your hands on the vitamin and mineral additive.

At least grab a treatment and remove the carbon. You want to nip it in the bud early.

It took a lot to heal my Jack Dempsey. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398401017.277038.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	234732
__________________

__________________
squirrilah fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
squirrilah fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
Some people suggest a Biowheel also, I already had one, but if you don't.
__________________
squirrilah fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
squirrilah fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
That's right on the lateral line too.
I really think it is hole in the head.

How's your Nitrate generally?
__________________
squirrilah fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 203
I did have a bio wheel I had a marine land and now I have a marine land canister filter so how would I remove the carbon
__________________
jahonnimyfav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
squirrilah fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahonnimyfav101 View Post
I did have a bio wheel I had a marine land and now I have a marine land canister filter so how would I remove the carbon

Not sure on that one, hopefully some one else knows. How old is the fish?
Hole in the head often comes from prolonged exposure to Nitrate.
__________________
squirrilah fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
That's not hole in the head. HITH is a parasitic condition found in discus and angels. Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) is a condition caused by poor water conditions (typically the nitrates are too high) or a poor diet. What's the tank size, stock list, parameters, and what are you feeding them?
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
squirrilah fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
That's not hole in the head. HITH is a parasitic condition found in discus and angels. Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) is a condition caused by poor water conditions (typically the nitrates are too high) or a poor diet. What's the tank size, stock list, parameters, and what are you feeding them?
I thought hole in the head, and lateral line disease were synonyms. Either way, that is going to drill a hole in his head. I just dealt with it in my Jack Dempsey. It happens in larger cichlids with prolonged exposure to poor water quality, typically prolonged exposure to nitrate.

I got lazy and didnt do enough water changes. It was a pain to cure. I recommend a hospital tank.
__________________
squirrilah fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
I thought hole in the head, and lateral line disease were synonyms. Either way, that is going to drill a hole in his head. I just dealt with it in my Jack Dempsey. It happens in larger cichlids with prolonged exposure to poor water quality, typically prolonged exposure to nitrate.

I got lazy and didnt do enough water changes. It was a pain to cure. I recommend a hospital tank.
They are not, hence why I stated the difference between the two
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
squirrilah fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
They are not, hence why I stated the difference between the two

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just clearing up the confusion.
__________________

__________________
squirrilah fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it ok If I put a 2in German blue and a 1 1/2 in frantosa jahonnimyfav101 Cichlid Discussion 4 02-13-2014 08:54 PM
My frantosa won't move jahonnimyfav101 Cichlid Discussion 4 02-10-2014 01:07 PM
Are my frantosa cichlids male or femail jahonnimyfav101 Cichlid Discussion 4 01-20-2014 02:05 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.