What is this on my oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No not right after, they seemed to go away after the water change but then came back....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

looks just like ich but doesn't behave like it. Are they just on the fish or on the glass to?

Do you have sand substrate? Could be small sand particles. Be sure to gravel vac really well when doing water changes to get the cysts out of the substrate. they have a stage during their life cycle where they lay in the substrate before becoming free swimming. Keep your nitrates down nice and low. Healthy fish can shake off ich pretty easy.

After you said that I looked at the glass, and there are some spots, very few, and they're moving as well...and yes, I used pool filter sand in their tank, has 2 Fluval 406s for filtration...its 180 gallon tall. 2 oscars are all that's in it.

After you said that I looked at the glass, and there are some spots, very few, and they're moving as well...and yes, I used pool filter sand in their tank, has 2 Fluval 406s for filtration...its 180 gallon tall. 2 oscars are all that's in it.

The reason I asked is I was researching this for you the yesterday because well I like learning new things and didn't know what it was and I was bored. Anyways I found this article that described little aquatic insects that was like what you have but it wouldn't be just on the fish itself. But wouldn't you know it I cant find the link now. but that is what it might be some sort of microrganism.

It's mites, has to be.. my water snake had them once..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So what do I do get get rid of them? Are they harmful?

So what do I do get get rid of them? Are they harmful?

I'm not sure, I'd wait for confirmation on that, I'd anything throw some salt in for now??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

from the pics it looks like ich to me. I would raise the temp gradually to 86 degrees and hold it there for 2 weeks. Like others said, I would add aquarium salt. Water changes are going to be your best friend.

remember when raising the temp you need to have extra oxygenation in the water, the heat depletes it. Add more air stones

http://youtu.be/FyshuMRowNE

Here's a video I took of them today, wondering if it's sand I'm seeing on glass? How can they get ich if nothing's been introduced into their tank? Their nitrates were 40ppm just now, so doing a 50% water change, did one Sunday and will do another this Sunday. They're not scratching, they're swimming and eating well..

"What causes Ich?
Ich is considered the common cold of fish. Just like germs that make humans
sick, parasites are always present to attack fish. In a healthy situation a fish’s
normal immune system will protect it against these attacks.
When your fish becomes “stressed’ its immune system breaks down and the ich
parasite is able to make your fish sick. Just about every fish has been exposed
to the parasite at one time or another and may be a carrier. There are 3 common
causes of ”stress” for your fish:
1) General water quality, ammonia in particular. High ammonia level is the #1
cause of “stress”, ich and death.
2) Temperature drop of more than 3º as in transporting the fish. Keeping fish too
cold (below 75°) will increase the chances of ich.
3) Fighting between fish, especially new fish and old fish will increase the
chances of ich".

I have gotten rid of ich by raising the heat and using aquarium salt like I said earlier, but it takes about 2 weeks.

It could of been caused by water quality. If there was amonia present, and the nitrates were high. Test your tap water for nitrates

http://youtu.be/FyshuMRowNE

Here's a video I took of them today, wondering if it's sand I'm seeing on glass? How can they get ich if nothing's been introduced into their tank? Their nitrates were 40ppm just now, so doing a 50% water change, did one Sunday and will do another this Sunday. They're not scratching, they're swimming and eating well..

Do another video with out the filter on or turn all pumps off so you can tell if they are swimming on their own or its the current blowing them around.

Tough one. Without us being able to see it in person, I am not sure. Are you totally certain it isn't just sand kicking up and getting on the fish? I have seen a couple oscars whoget pretty sandy after a pwc and it sticks to them.
How long between the first appearance of the dots to the disappearance? How many times has it happened?
I have not ruled out mites or ich. But, some sort of mite seems perhaps more likely than ich does.
As a side note, I definitely recommend upping your pwc a bit to keep those nitrates as low as possible.
Turning off the filters for a bit to observe is a good idea. Also, you can pick up some sand where you see the dots and grab a magnifying glass. Or, just use a magnifying glass on the ones on the glass. Maybe I own more magnifying glasses than the average person, but it worth a try if you have one!

http://youtu.be/5wQ2HP-hiKY
Very close up of my sand.....definitely something there!

Any idea what it is?? And how do I get rid of them?!

I think Brookster was very very correct in saying they're mites. No clue how to deal with them but there's got to be articles out there somewhere.

http://youtu.be/5wQ2HP-hiKY
Very close up of my sand.....definitely something there!

Any idea what it is?? And how do I get rid of them?!

Check out this link on tank inverts. its very interesting I am guessing you have Ostracoda or copepods (which I thought were only SW but I guess not). Harmless tank inverts.

What is that bug in my Aquarium? .:. Various small creatures that can inhabit a Freshwater Invertebrate Aquarium

Yea...either one is definitely a possibility, but how did they get in the tank? And I'm assuming that they can get into my other tanks? I use the same sponge and water changer for all my tanks, but none of the others (as far as I can tell) have these tiny creatures...and I studied each tank closely! Article said they're harmless but I don't like the idea of these tiny things crawling in the sand and on my fish so how do I get rid of them?!

Yea...either one is definitely a possibility, but how did they get in the tank? And I'm assuming that they can get into my other tanks? I use the same sponge and water changer for all my tanks, but none of the others (as far as I can tell) have these tiny creatures...and I studied each tank closely! Article said they're harmless but I don't like the idea of these tiny things crawling in the sand and on my fish so how do I get rid of them?!

yeah it would creep me out to. I don't think anyone here really knows its not a common issue. I would think it would be very easy for them to transfer to your other tanks. I would use dedicated equipment if possible.

They either got in there becasue you introduced them to the tank somehow. Do you use live feeders? Did you add new fish or plants? If no to both those questions its coming from you tap water.

If it were my tank I would start hitting google hard. Probably dose with copper or try salt (not both) Would do daily water changes. Maybe even start looking into fish that eat them. My green phantom plecos grazes on algea but what they really like is the animals that feed and grow on algea so maybe go that route. I really don't know that is just some of the avenues I would try. If you have a really knowledgeable LFS store around ask them but don't buy meds if they are just taking shots in the dark.

I would also get a britta water filter for my tap.

Yea, we've never fed them live feeder fish, but we have fed them ghost shrimp, and crickets, from our field and from pet store, but Cricket's was the latest feed and it's been over 6 months ago! Shrimp was more like 8-9 months ago...so I really don't think it'd be from that....I'm not sure about it being in tap as none of the other tanks. I watched videos of the copepods and ostracods and am not sure if that's what's in my tank...I think from here I'll go to google as you said and see what I can find out. Thank you to everyone for your help!

Thanks for the second video! Definitely something alive. Are you able to try and isolate one in a cup or something to get a look at it? I don't know any other way to determine what you have besides by a visual ID.

Back
Top Bottom