What is this on my oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busymom23

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420925624.911828.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420925639.111732.jpg

Looks like sand almost....but what is that in my oscars?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ich, temp to 86

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can ich move? It appears to move...

Hmmm, fleas? ?

I honestly don't know, I do about 30% water change weekly, tank is 1 year old....nothing's been introduced and no feeder fish, ever. Whatever that is on them doesn't seem to bother them at all...they're not scratching. But I do wonder what it is..

Could be some type of parasite or worm. Im not good with this but whats up with the missing portion of the second pictures dorsal fin?

It's not missing, that's where his spiky fins start...lol...I was trying to get closer so you could see the spots.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420927918.867788.jpg
That's a full body pic

Ok that's good. The pic cut it off just right then. Hang in there someone will know what it is and what to do.

It is Ich. Its not moving what your seeing the the individual parasites have a 24 hour life cycle where they fall off and produce more. So you are seeing parasites disappear and new one appear in different places. One speck there can turn into hundreds. Raise the temp to 90 and add aquarium salt 1tblspn per 5 gallons.

I examined them closely today and see no spots...but I did their pwc yesterday as normal, every Sunday I clean their tank...here is a pic of them right now
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421112704.569323.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421112719.852139.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421112766.601386.jpg

I didn't do anything extra, so what could those spots have been? I didn't raise temp, I didn't add salt, I only continued routine water change...30% every Sunday.

May want to up the wc's to 50%. It may have been wc quality related?? Those fish have pretty large bioloads. Do you test nitrates?

Yea, and nitrates were on high side of 40, I did extra water change last week, Thursday, then their normal one on Sunday as well to bring them down, Sunday after water change, nitrates were about 20, which I know is still high, but wanted to try and get them down slow, doing another water change thursday and Sunday this week as well.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421249188.785768.jpg
Spots back again today, just not as many...I wish I knew what the spots are!

High nitrates can stress fish, stressed fish are more susceptible to disease and issues such as ich. I'd try and keep the nitrates way down. 2 big wc's weekly for now and see how she does. Adding salt may not be a bad Idea.

Back
Top Bottom