What is your favorite Haplochromis species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, my heads going a million ways with what i could finish my 75 gallon mbuna tank with, and i thought maybe you guys could help introduce me to some of your favorite species. One of the thoughts are if i can find a Hap that has nice colours and could (more likely) keep up with my mbuna. Ive always liked the patterns and colour that i see from the peacocks and haps and thought it could make a nice larger centerpiece fish. Unfortunately however, it would have to be a single male. Tank footprint is 48x18"

I was thinking of a Red Empress maybe, to bring some red. Here is my stock as it sits now with my guesses on size...

1m - OB cobalt zebra (4")
1m - Rusty (3.75") *I'd like to get a few females eventually
1m/1f - Metriclima Greshaki (3")
1m/3f - Yellow lab (2.5")
4 unsexed - Acei (2.5")
6 unsexed - Maingano (around 1.5". Will be removing males as they show up)

If your going to put a peacock or hap to this tank I would make sure he is much larger than the Mbuna. Mbuna are much more aggressive imo than any peacock or hap and the Mbuna will kill a single add in for sure. As far as what species, if you want some red how about a dragon blood peacock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was going to stay away from peacocks as they all sound too fragile vs mbuna lol I had heard some species of Haps could hold their own for the most part so I figured I'd see what there was out there. I'll likely get more mbuna anyways, but there's some interesting fish out there so looking into more isn't a loss to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom