What kind of cichlid can I keep with a jack Dempsey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rutherford_3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a jack Dempsey cichlid I'm getting a 55 gallon what other kind of cichlid can I put with him?

That's a stocked tank imo, just the jack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my opinion a Jack Dempsey will grow out a 55gal by itself. If you already have a Jack in a 55gal I'd look at getting a bigger tank when it's grown.

In my opinion a Jack Dempsey will grow out a 55gal by itself. If you already have a Jack in a 55gal I'd look at getting a bigger tank when it's grown.

Most JD's can live entire lives in a 55, they typically top out around 10 inches. It's not best case scenario but also not something I'd advise against, however when it comes to adding additional fish that's a no go unless the keeper is willing to change a lot of water, even so personalities may clash in a 4 ft x 1 ft tank.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

'Can live' is the key phrase in that sentence.

I had a male Jack Dempsey in a 55gal for two years, once he was full grown he became really timid and skittish and spent al of his time hiding. Once I moved him to a 140gal he was very lively and happy, out in open water all the time. I'm pretty sure the fact that they barely have room to turn around in a 4ft x 1ft makes them feel as if they can't get away fast enough if they are frightened so in turn they just decide to hide all the time.

I use a 55gal to grow out my CA's to about 4-6" before they go into the more appropriate sized tanks now.

Maybe look at Convicts or something a bit smaller.

'Can live' is the key phrase in that sentence.

I had a male Jack Dempsey in a 55gal for two years, once he was full grown he became really timid and skittish and spent al of his time hiding. Once I moved him to a 140gal he was very lively and happy, out in open water all the time. I'm pretty sure the fact that they barely have room to turn around in a 4ft x 1ft makes them feel as if they can't get away fast enough if they are frightened so in turn they just decide to hide all the time.

I use a 55gal to grow out my CA's to about 4-6" before they go into the more appropriate sized tanks now.

Maybe look at Convicts or something a bit smaller.

No key phrases here, JD's can absolutely live fulfilled lives in 55's. Not sure why yours were so uncomfortable but I've seen healthy, active JD's in 55 gallon tanks living like they were king of the world, some over 11". The key phrase if anything is "alone". These wetpets needs to be housed singly in that size tank. If that circumstance is met they can thrive in this space. Don't get me wrong, don't go putting jags in this size tank but a jd can live happily.

I disagree @TMRC Exotics.

I think any fish deserves at least double their body length on the smallest side of the aquarium.

I disagree @TMRC Exotics.

I think any fish deserves at least double their body length on the smallest side of the aquarium.

Hey everyone is allowed to disagree, it's the principle forums are founded on, that said I disagree, sure we can humanize what we believe an aquarium "should be", however I'm also speaking from experience, as a long term cichlid keeper. I've personally seen this done very successfully. I would love to see all JD's in 75's+ just for that extra depth, but I also know of working breeding pair JD's in 55's (again, not ideal). It all comes down to a keepers ability to maintain water quality and well being of a fish. Keep in mind, a 12" fish doesn't need 12" to turn around, given the geometry in a taller than than wide tank. Sure it's nice to have a bigger tank, I advocate it where possible but it's not always a necessity.

I have kept cichlids for a very long time now and I find it hard to believe that you can see a 20cm + cichlid in a 55gal show their true nature.

It's not about whether it can turn around or not, it's about having enough space for them to swim around freely and exhibit their natural behaviours. I'm not humanising it at all, on the more dramatic end of the scale you see people keep Oscars in 30gals and they don't look as if theres anything particularly wrong with them but it still doesn't make it an appropriate environment for a large instinctual animal that naturally occurs in a large body of water.

My personal opinion is that any fish from 20cm upwards should really be in a 75g mininmum.

Arguing about this isn't going to help @rutherford_3 though.

There are 2 different opinions on keeping JD's, take what you want from it but in conclusion I think we can say it's agreed if your really want to put a JD in a 55gal there won't be any room for tank mates.

I have kept cichlids for a very long time now and I find it hard to believe that you can see a 20cm + cichlid in a 55gal show their true nature.

It's not about whether it can turn around or not, it's about having enough space for them to swim around freely and exhibit their natural behaviours. I'm not humanising it at all, on the more dramatic end of the scale you see people keep Oscars in 30gals and they don't look as if theres anything particularly wrong with them but it still doesn't make it an appropriate environment for a large instinctual animal that naturally occurs in a large body of water.

My personal opinion is that any fish from 20cm upwards should really be in a 75g mininmum.

There are 2 different opinions on keeping JD's, take what you want from it but in conclusion I think we can say it's agreed if your really want to put a JD in a 55gal there won't be any room for tank mates.

I fully agree with your example, an Oscar in a 30 gallon tank is immoral as well as negligent, it crosses a boundary you certainly cannot. A dempsey in a 55 is whole other conversation. Not only is it feasible, it's the accepted minimum tank size for the species. I'm totally in agreement, bigger is better with central or south American cichlids, this is my philosophy on keeping as well, however a 55 is an acceptable medium for all but the largest dempsey's. For a situation that calls for it, it's not immoral to house the jd in a 55, and this is completely pertinent to the OP'S concern.

Thank you guys for all your replies it did help me a lot I don't think I will get the 55 gallon I think I'm going to get a 75 gallon tank. If I get a 75 gallon could I get a tank mate if not that's fine?

Thank you guys for all your replies it did help me a lot I don't think I will get the 55 gallon I think I'm going to get a 75 gallon tank. If I get a 75 gallon could I get a tank mate if not that's fine?

With a 75 it is a possibility. It will depend a lot on the size and temperament of the JD you have. Some are more tolerant of tankmates than others. You can't do anything crazy like an Oscar, but a single convict or acara sized/temperament tankmate could work

I agree with @TMRC Exotics, it's totally dependant on the temperament of the individual JD, and other cichlids.

I wouldn't go with anything larger than the 6" area or there will be a struggle for dominance. I would recommend the JD and 2 females of the other species, such as Convicts (I have found Convicts are probably the easiest combo with Jacks). The JD will more often than not take dominance in this situation. Having 2 'targets' I believe takes the heat of the subdominant cichlid and disperses aggression. This is just a recipe that I have found that has worked for me, others may have a different opinion.

If you get them while they are quite small and ad them to the aquarium at the same time they are more likely to be tolerant of each other when they are adults but thats not a given. The only issue is the smaller you go, the harder it is to tell gender in the case of JD's.

I agree with @TMRC Exotics, it's totally dependant on the temperament of the individual JD, and other cichlids.

I wouldn't go with anything larger than the 6" area or there will be a struggle for dominance. I would recommend the JD and 2 females of the other species, such as Convicts (I have found Convicts are probably the easiest combo with Jacks). The JD will more often than not take dominance in this situation. Having 2 'targets' I believe takes the heat of the subdominant cichlid and disperses aggression. This is just a recipe that I have found that has worked for me, others may have a different opinion.

If you get them while they are quite small and ad them to the aquarium at the same time they are more likely to be tolerant of each other when they are adults but thats not a given. The only issue is the smaller you go, the harder it is to tell gender in the case of JD's.

This is a great suggestion

Any fish named after a boxer will most likely get into a few scraps with any other tankmates of similar size and origin no matter what size tank. With a Jack D I doubt any tank with others will be "peaceful" 24/7 but as long as they can all hold there own in the ring you would have plenty of options for tank mates with a 75, even bigger if feasible. I agree with both guys about the 55 gallon. I housed one oscar in a 55 years ago and he was healthy and happy all day everyday. I'm sure a larger tank would have added to his happiness and possibly an inch growth, but I think it's more like comparing living in a 1 bedroom apt vs a 3 bedroom condo. Certainly not cruel but not ideal either. Definitely a 55 is bare minimum for one large SA carnivore.

long ago I had 2 jacks and 2 pikes in a 55 and a few other things. everyone was themselves and no fighting. of course my jacks were only about 4" and the pike were about 5"...
I think the key is to give them tankmates that won't bully, and yet can hold their own, and enough filtration to handle things. it's in the nature of the hobby to be constantly in search of the next larger tank, I find myself with 2 100 gallon tanks, and I'm thinking bigger. look around, a good used 100 or 125 is cheaper than you think.
I responded to the other thread on Jack Dempseys, check it out.

(I never understand people who want a tank full of killers, like it's some sort of super max prison)

(I never understand people who want a tank full of killers, like it's some sort of super max prison)[/QUOTE]

It's all how you look at it. I prefer to look at mine like a Navy Seal training camp with a few out numbered murderers... always looking to add a Chuck Norris or two ?

Thank you, after seeing some of the comments I bought a 75 gallon instead

Back
Top Bottom