Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

what kind of cichlid is this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i bought 2 cichlids out of a mix cichlid tank and i think they are kenyi but i am not sure. i was hoping for some opinions from some more experienced cichlid keepers. i dont really think it is a kenyi because people have mentioned that kenyi dont have yellow in their fins. in the pic it is the bottom fish, the top one is an Elongatus Mpanga, thats what the sign said and thats what other people have also said. thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

(message from previous post) Yes, Kenyi's are very aggressive once they hit sexual maturity. But to me, it appears to be a mixed specie, not a full breed. The yellow side fins is what really perplexes me and makes me believe that it is a mix. I'd wait until it matures and try to ID it at that point. Juvi's can be difficult to determine because they change so much at adulthood.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
it's very nice looking whatever it is. I'd keep him
Old 01-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i actually have 2 of him. got them super cheap. they were in a mix tank like i said and were only listed for 3.99 and i went on tuesday which happens to be the buy 1 get 1 free day so i got 2 for only 4 bucks. i am only worried about what they are like at adult hood becasue i have a demasoni in the tank currently and he is by far my favourite so i dont want there to be any chance of him getting hurt. they appear to be very mild mannered but u never know what can happen. thanks for the replies.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
aren't demasoni supposed to be little thugs when they grow up? I watched them for a bit at the pet store, all they did was chase each other around.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The demasoni will be very aggressive towards it's own kind. But to other tankmates, not as much. But, I'd still watch out for aggressiveness, especially considering the color similarities. Alot of things go into determining how aggressive they will be (caves, tank size, etc). If you see signs of overly aggressiveness, you may want to seperate them.

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Labetropheus Trewavasae- the Red top Zebra
Old 01-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a site reference dingogirl? The mouth structure of the fish posted does not resemble the characteristics of the Trewavasae's. The Trewavasae has a downturned mouth. It would have to be of a Pseudotropheus, Maylandia, or Melanochromis grouping due to the facial and body characteristics.

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i realize that the demasoni are very agreesive fish but he has a little cave on the far right side of the tank that he has claimed and only chases fish that go into it. i plan to get some labs and maybe a few other cichlids so he will have so many different fish to chase it will not do to much harm. i agree with fishy finatic that the mouth doesnt look the same. also his lines are much darker than the Labetropheus Trewavasae. the one pictured is always out and swimming but the other one is always hiding. i have noticed a definate size difference in them since added to the tank. the one pictured has gotten quite big and the other one has not grown at all. could it be 2 males fighting for dominance so the other one is being sgunned to the side? any other peoples guesses are welcome. even if it is the wrong fish i can look at them and maybe think about adding to the tank later. thanks again
Old 01-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have Kenyi with some Acei, and Yellow Lab's.... Kenyi won't be a problem with the others later as they mature will they?

Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com