What kind of cichlid is this? Is it a firemouth? (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawzforlife

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I bought, what I was told was 2 firemouths on wednesday. The one on the left I know is a firemouth, but the one on the right I'm not to sure. The one on the right is more of a yellow and black color with vertical stripes. It does have the big horizontal stripe in the center like the other firemouth. Also it doesn't have a red "belly: and its gills have blue/green bots on them. So is the one on the right realll a firemouth. I ask because it has become the bully of the tank with my other firemouths that are in there. If its not will I have a problem bringing it back to get a real firemouth (because the store lied to be and said it was one).

CLICK FOR PIC
http://community.webshots.com/photo/187277386/197711451WZJvOB

-Adam

I believe the one on the right is a young Jack Dempsey, Cichlasoma octofasciatum. They get larger than the Firemouth and, as you've already found, can be quite aggressive. Still...if the tank is large enough then you might be able to get away with keeping the fish together.

Hope this helps!

it looks like a fish I have, the only identification I can find for it is an Aureum, similiar to firemouths but they don't have the red bellies

hm.. more yellow and got black stripes

I think is a young Cichlasoma Salvini.

If so they are highly aggressive and predatory.

diesel got it, except for the aggresive part imo, strips across the nose , ill say salvini would like to see a side view though, youll adore that fish cause he looks like a male, lighter in color,

It's definitely not a firemouth or a Jack: I'm not sold on it being a salvini either (the vertical banding doesn't seem right). Is there any way you can get another shot of the fish, similar to the "side-view" of the firemouth?

Just noticed the second picture more likely is a cross between a Con and a JD or Salvini. Either way I don't think it's a pure strain or maybe just stressed.

Blue acara is another possibility

Although it does have some of the bluish/greenish and gold spangling of a JD, there's no way that's a pure strain Jack. The banding and coloration on the rest of the fish looks a lot like a convict. My guess is that it's a cross-bred con and JD: it's behaviour would also support that as well. Either way, it's probably going to be a constant bully in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom