what makes a good tank mate for oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 small Oscars what will go good with them. Do not want aggressive fish with them i already had to return a jack Dempsey. The Dempsey was picking on them. And i already have a pleco.

What size tank are they in? That will determine if tankmates are even an option. I have 2 13" tigers that get along well but destroy any other living soul in the tank.

Until you actually have bigger, don't add more. The two oscars alone will outgrow the 55 (arguably just one will). Life always happens and dream tanks and upgrades don't always. Until you have the larger tank, don't require it.

A 55 gallon tank is only big enough for one oscar. With only a twelve in depth leaves no room for a fish to turn without folding their tale in. A 75 gallon would be the minimum for 2 oscars alone as long as they get along...if there's not enough real estate they will fight and unfortunately sometimes to the death. So I would rehome the rest of the tankmates or upgrade to a larger tank. These fish will grow an inch a month so it won't tank long before they'll outgrow this tank.

I I have a 120 tank that is not set up. Just need filter and hood. But I wanted to raise all the fish that will be in there together that is why I was asking what I could put with them

Okay, that sounds better.

Honestly though oscars get big when properly cared for, not 10-12" but more like 12-15", I have even heard of some hitting 18" or more. So you don't have room for much else in there.

I would definitely raise them with bristlenose plecos. These can be a lifesaver later when it comes to algae control.

Are there any other fish you would like to have in with them?

I have to disagree with everyone that says a 55 is to small cause i have a large oscar in a 55 with multiple other fish. i would just advise you not to get a black convict they get very aggressive well at least the one i have is.

Okay, that sounds better.

Honestly though oscars get big when properly cared for, not 10-12" but more like 12-15", I have even heard of some hitting 18" or more. So you don't have room for much else in there.

I would definitely raise them with bristlenose plecos. These can be a lifesaver later when it comes to algae control.

Are there any other fish you would like to have in with them?

I've seen a 20" oscar before. He had a 125 all to his self. A monster of a fish.

And at above. No, I don't think you can keep an oscar in a 55 gallon for any protracted period of time. The width should always be twice the fishes' full adult length. And with two, you're asking for trouble. I don't want to start any arguments but I am stating facts from experience with large fish. Namely large 2' koi.

Makavelli02 said:
I have 2 small Oscars what will go good with them. Do not want aggressive fish with them i already had to return a jack Dempsey. The Dempsey was picking on them. And i already have a pleco.

Silver dollars. They are fast and will eat anything An Oscar spits out. They do get large also, and you need multiple to cut down on them being skittish, so please be aware of the size of tank required. :) also, you need sd's bigger than oscars mouth, although I was lucky you might not be. Mine also don't eat plants.

Oscars kept in 55s who actually fit in it do so because they are stunted. Keep your kids locked up in the closet their whole life and they will fit.

Yeah I find this annoying on a lot of forums too. But the reason people attack something they think they see is incorrect (even if they are assuming it) is because they care more about the fish you're keeping than they do about you. That's really the way it should be, don't let it get to you. :)

Wow Ok I understand they they can not stay in a 55 I have a 120 to put them in I asked for suggestions for tankards and have had most depots about tank size wow

This was brought up due to tank size will help determine if tankmates are even an option.

Back to the original question... Silver Dollars in schools of 5 or more, Larger dither fish like giant danios, Congo tetras, and larger barbs like tinfoils. Plecs and other bottom feeders the list goes on and on. I've seen Jack Dempseys, Jags, Festae's and countless other S.Americans kept to would you like us to name every fish that could live with oscars.

Back
Top Bottom