what plants for low lite sa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 severums and 2 heckeliis in a 75 with sand and want to add plants. low light and im looking for something that is broad leaf and wont clog filters that grows around 10" high.
also how do you treat them before adding them to make sure there is no snails or infection being introduced into the tank.
Thanks

Hello Mike...

You'll want Anubias nangi. You don't even need to plant this one. Just attach the roots to a piece of lava rock with a thin rubber band and drop it into the tank. The plant grows well in most lighting conditions.

I have it in a 55 G in subdued lighting and no ferts other than those the fish produce. It's roughly 10 inches tall with broad leaves. This one will stand up to pretty aggressive fish.

B

Thanks Bbradbury
Ill try them. Sounds like what I'm looking for. What do I do to make sure they are clean and don't bring any disese into the tank

Hello again Mike...

I just rinse them well in warm tap water and leave them in a 5 gallon bucket of my water change water. I add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to the water and leave the plants in it for a couple of days, uncovered. The trace of salt doesn't bother the plant, but will kill any pathogens that may come with the plant, which is extremely remote. It's ready to go into the tank after a mild salt bath. If you're concerned about a little salt getting into the tank water, just rinse again in warm tap water.

Alphaprobreeders is a good source for these plants. I've been doing business with them for quite a while. I'd compare the quality of their plants to anyone's.

B

Hello again Mike...

I just rinse them well in warm tap water and leave them in a 5 gallon bucket of my water change water. I add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to the water and leave the plants in it for a couple of days, uncovered. The trace of salt doesn't bother the plant, but will kill any pathogens that may come with the plant, which is extremely remote. It's ready to go into the tank after a mild salt bath. If you're concerned about a little salt getting into the tank water, just rinse again in warm tap water.

Alphaprobreeders is a good source for these plants. I've been doing business with them for quite a while. I'd compare the quality of their plants to anyone's.

B

Thanks again! Ill give them a try.

Thanks Bbradbury
Ill try them. Sounds like what I'm looking for. What do I do to make sure they are clean and don't bring any disese into the tank

You can do a dip in a alum solution (a spice, check online for exact measurements and use)

Any type of anubias and java fern will usually work, although my uaru loved java fern

I agree with freakgecko, any type of Anubias can potentially work you don't have to use a certain species. Another plant to look into is Bolbitis heudelotii, its a tough water fern from Africa that you can attach to rocks or driftwood.

I agree with freakgecko, any type of Anubias can potentially work you don't have to use a certain species. Another plant to look into is Bolbitis heudelotii, its a tough water fern from Africa that you can attach to rocks or driftwood.

Or Madagascan lace (a. madagascarensis)

Mine seemed to do quite well with the Uaru, she never even touched it, even when it started flowering

Back
Top Bottom