Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
What should I do?

A month ago i decided to try and breed something other then a livebearer, having a cichlid tank i decided to start off easy. I thought I;d try the easiest, convicts right? Well after a week and seeing all the fry i thought I could raise them and maybe sell or trade them. Bad idea. I now have 50+ 1/2-3/4 inch convicts that I need to get rid of soon. I should've realised their too common and easy to breed to do anything with fry. I don't know what I should do with them now...

Now I don't keep fish to make money, I do it because I like it. But I like the sense of accomplishment when you're fish breed. I'd like to breed something that's tradable. Any ideas of something that isn't crazy hard but not easy to breed? I'm interested in mouth breeders like the eartheater.

I also am thinking of starting an african tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm - a lot of aquarists face the same problem. i don't know what a good solution would be - but to me the best way seems to be to let the parents or some other predator take care of them. i know it sounds cruel, but i can't think of anything else. do you keep big CA/SA cichlids by any chance? try aquabid too (just in case someone needs some convict fry).

check with your lfs' on the fish they'd take in if you breed them. and once they give you the green signal, go ahead and choose a species.

there are a number of african setups that you might consider - malawi mbuna, malawi non-mbuna (haps/peacocks), tangs, vics, or riverines or a mixed one (not recommended)...you have to make up your mind on what you want and take it from there.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
South American cichlids are rare in my area, and I plan to sell any apistogramma cacatuoides that manage to make it. I'll probably start removing the fry at some point and trying to keep them alive. I've got the orange flash ones, so they're worth a few dollars more than double or triple reds are.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would stay away from many of the more common mouth brooding Mbuna (yellow labs, zebras, etc) since they will breed easily. Geophagus sp, Lake Tang shell dwellers and dwarf cichlids seem to be popular and not readily found. You may have to make an initial investment to get quality stock to breed. Definitely ask your LFS what would be worth while.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have one red-hump geophagus male that is mature. I had one female that was carrying eggs, but she died recently.

You could try to find some red-hump geophagus. They are supposed to be relatively easy to breed in aquariums, but they are difficult to find. Use a sane, or small gravel, substrate and they will be happy. You might even try breeding GBRs in the same tank as they red-humps are not overly aggressive. Now, they can hold their own against other aggressive cichlids too.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Big Ben
Thanks alot for all your input. I just traded my 2 yellow labs and oscar for two green or turquoise severums (cant really tell yet but i think one is turqoise), some food and 3 neon tetras for my gfs tank...what a difference already. Everythings alot more peaceful and the little jack dempsey is out and about. I just didn't like how it was going with the labs in too low of pH water and hardness as well as the behaviour issues with the other non-african cichlids.

I'm looking for a central/south/new world cichlid to breed. Since I have 2 severums now, i might look into breeding those. I think I may have 2 males though because they don't seem too fond of each other, although I have no clue how to tell between the sex's.

I do like the idea of dwarf mbuna because of the smaller space needed to keep them then normal africans. I will look into the ideas given and get back to all of you, thanks again ben.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com