Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What should I do with my new 55g

So yesterday I saw on a local aquarium Facebook page that my local Petco was holding a 1$ per gallon sale so I went today and picked up their last 55g. Wasn't planning on getting another tank so I have no idea what to do with it.
My current setup includes a 75g all male lake Malawi show tank. A 29g with a couple adult female peacocks and a few juveniles I believe are female. I also have another 29g grow out tank with 5 juvenile male peacocks I'm growing before moving to the show tank. And I also have a 10g with a holding female Ob peacock. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions for the new 55g. I was thinking about maybe a SA cichlid tank but have no experience with them. I have tap water with a high ph 8-8.2 so if I went SA I would need to get the ph down.
Was also kicking around the idea of a species tank of psedo demasoni but still undecided. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

New tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396653501.797022.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	231775

Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lucky you, I went up to my local Petco not intending to get a 55 gallon cause I didn't know the sale was going on, but when I realized it was, I priced everything out and was going to comeback later to buy the tank cause it wouldn't fit in the car and when I came back later that day, someone bought the tank and stand right infront of me. They were checking out with it when I walked in Now I have to wait till Thursday and I hate waiting for stuff lol.

Not sure what you should do stock wise, following along though if this is a build thread
Old 04-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I got the last one at the store I went to. I picked up a second Aquaclear 50 a heater and some pfs but haven't set it up or decided what I want yet. Thinking about returning pool filter sand and going with black beauty blasting sand though. I can get it from work but the bags are 100#'s not sure if I feel like carrying it up 3 flights of stairs though lol.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Finally got the new 55 set up and cycling. Still don't know what is going in it but at least it's almost ready. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397091018.143696.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	232552
Old 04-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Plan has been set in motion. 55g is going to be my Mbuna tank. Aqua scaping and background are temporary but I love the black beauty sand in the tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397333423.945825.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	232986
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What should I do with my new 55g

Mbuna would be cool. I was going to say a SA tank wouldn't be my first choice because their cooler fish are often larger. It sounds like you set on Mbuna, but I wanted to put out you could do a Victorian, or Tanganyikan tank as well. Lake Victoria has some beautiful species. A lot cooler than Mbuna IMO.
I just got a new 30g on the classifieds, full set up with stand, $40. But I'm doing a tropical/amazon community tank.
Good luck.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
Mbuna would be cool. I was going to say a SA tank wouldn't be my first choice because their cooler fish are often larger. It sounds like you set on Mbuna, but I wanted to put out you could do a Victorian, or Tanganyikan tank as well. Lake Victoria has some beautiful species. A lot cooler than Mbuna IMO.
I just got a new 30g on the classifieds, full set up with stand, $40. But I'm doing a tropical/amazon community tank.
Good luck.
It's a common misconception that the majority south and central american cichlids are all larger. I can name literally dozens of species capable of going in a 55 long term

Seeing as you prefer rift lake cichlids, based on your username, I'd definitely look into tanganyikans. There are so many unique sizes, shapes, and colors. With mbuna, it's mostly one body shape (with some differences) and then different colors. Tanganyikans will always have a spot in my heart when it comes to cichlids, as I tend to stick to South Americans mostly
Old 04-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Love the black sand! I have it to myself. The sand looks even better with a black background fyi nice looking tank!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com