What should I get for my 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting a 75 gal and eventually gonna add cichlids but I'm not sure what kind I want or how many any suggestions also if u want to suggest other fish that are compatible with cichlids that would be a big help

There are a lot of cichlid species, from several different parts of the world, and different habitats. What appeals to you most?
For the most part, with a tank that size, I would advise staying away from larger growing cichlids like Oscars, Jaquars, Texas, etc.
You could do a mix of C Amer cichlids like Convicts and Firemouths, with perhaps a couple Keyholes.
You could also do an African Mbuna tank, an African Peacock tank, a S Amer Apistogramma tank . . . There are a lot of possibilities. Do a bit of research regarding care levels, water parameters needs, feeding requirements, etc. That will help you make an informed decision.

I was thinking Mbuna tank but I'm not sure how many I could fit in there

Check out Victorian Cichlids, they can be quite astonishing in colors when kept in a colony and many are on the CARES program which makes them even more rewarding to keep.

Check out Victorian Cichlids, they can be quite astonishing in colors when kept in a colony and many are on the CARES program which makes them even more rewarding to keep.

Cares? What is that and how can it be rewarding?

Cares? What is that and how can it be rewarding?

You can explore and learn about the cares program here:

http://caresforfish.org

Rewarding in that you can keep (and hopefully breed) fish that are potentially endangered.

Check out the goals and purpose section of the site.

You have in my opinion the best all around size tank, not too small and not too large - provides you with a lot of options.

You can explore and learn about the cares program here:

http://caresforfish.org

Rewarding in that you can keep (and hopefully breed) fish that are potentially endangered.

Check out the goals and purpose section of the site.

You have in my opinion the best all around size tank, not too small and not too large - provides you with a lot of options.

Is a 75 gal a good size or should I go smaller or larger

I thought Vics were hyper-aggressive. No? :confused:

Like all cichlids, aggression can vary from species to species and fish to fish as a result of a multitude of conditions.

I kept a group of Ruby Greens and they were quite peaceful.

A fellow hobbyist in my local club kept and successfully breed Christmas Fulu's and I do not recall him having any substantial aggression issues.

There may be some meanies within the genre, research of the individual species is always important... but nothing is ever certain!

Is a 75 gal a good size or should I go smaller or larger

Not sure if the question pertains to Lake Victorian fish, if it is YES a 75 gallon is very nice... A colony of a single species would be outstanding in a 75 gallon. I would not mix Victorian colonies of different species, a single species only would be best imo.

If your question pertains to the size of the 75 gallon in general terms, it is also an excellent size for most species and provides enough space to keep a lot of different community type fish. IMO the largest fish should be no larger than 6". Anything larger than that, you really need to consider a 6' length.... I'm sure some may have a different opinion.

In my 75 I have a group of Turquoise Rainbows, a group of Denison Barbs and several groups of Cory cats.... it's one of my favorite tanks.

You have a lot of great options....

Have fun!

Thanks now u got my super excited I'll keep u updated

Thanks now u got my super excited I'll keep u updated

Awesome to see your excitement, that's what this is all about!

Yes, no matter what you decide to do with your tank keep us posted and if you have questions just ask through the forum.

Figuring out what to do is fun and provides tons of learning opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom