What size powerhead should I use for my 75 gallon African tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DerekMartinez said:
Yea i was thinking of dropping the water level so it"ll waterfall into it. But i keep my temp around 80 F. I have a hanging strip that says the ammo level is safe in the yellow.

Sorry for interrupting but you say you have a hanging strip for ammonia.I've never heard of those.Could you tell me a little more please?

Yea Hardy.its made by seachem called ammonia alert and its like a pie chart broken into 4 pieces yellow is safe, blue is toxic, baby blue is alarm, and green is alert. They also have a Ph one to. You can find them at petsmart.

10 times the size of the tank is the best rule of thumb. Right now in my 125 I have 2 550 gph power heads plus my 2 filters putting me over 1800 gph of flow.

But do y'all think it would be better to just do 2 HOB filters instead of adding powerheads? 1 Penguin 350 and 1 Penguin Emperor 400 along with three airstones in the tank.

I think a small power head wouldn't hurt. You are sitting at 750 gph of filtration with hon filters. I have never been a huge fan of them but they do work, don't get me wrong. The flow of them is too downward for me and not really pushing across the tank. A power head will really move those areas in the corners that sit with extra ammonia and nitrates unable to reach the filter. Canisters have always been my preference but they are more costly.

Yea they are more costly lol. But what size power head would u recommend for my 75 and what brand? Cuz I've heard koralia is really good.

DerekMartinez said:
Yea Hardy.its made by seachem called ammonia alert and its like a pie chart broken into 4 pieces yellow is safe, blue is toxic, baby blue is alarm, and green is alert. They also have a Ph one to. You can find them at petsmart.

Those readers are good for a short period of time , at least in my experience. I recommend you to change to a liquid test. Waaay more reliable. It is important that you confirm the water quality first.

The readers are usually only good for a month, it says how long on each package.

A 350 or 450 would probably be plenty. I wouldn't worry too much about brand since they are all just the same thing.

Yea the ammonia one lasts for 3 months it said but I also have the API ammonia drops and test tubes. But just one powerhead should do it right?

Back
Top Bottom