What supplies do I need for a 30 or 40 gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaitlynn H.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to the forum but not to fish iv had fish for about a year now and quickly got addicted im 13 and have 6 fish tanks my largest fish tank is a 55gal and then I have too 10s a 5 a 3 and a 2 gal and I want another it probably won't happen till the beginning of next year because I will be paying for it myself and need to get equipment slowly so could you pleas give me a list of supplies and approximate price range thanks in advance!!!:thanks:

Unless you are doing dwarf cichlids the smallest I would get is a 40 breeder.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lots of rocks: can be free
Fine substrate: $18 for 20 lbs (a pound or 2 per gallon)

I would recommend a 55g

55g: can be up to $60 but u can find them with a stand for under $300

Stand: >$300

Filter:
Canister: $100-200
Or
DIY Sump aka overflow: $80 at most
Or
Hang filters: (you'll need two) $60

Air pump OR Powerhead.
I have both to help circulate water and break the surface tension.
Powerhead: $35
Air pump: $25

Air tubing: $2 per 6 feet (I think)
Air stone: $1 for 4 (I think)
Check valve: 50¢
Bubble bar: $10 each

Light system: $50-500

Gravel filter for water changing too: $15-45

Test kit: $30

Treatment for water: $2-35

Fish: (lol) $1-75

These are from the top of my head. I have a 55g cichlid setup with rocks and 3 plants. It has an overflow filter on it. I have an Aqua life light on it.

I got the sump, (no media) stand, tank, light, and a bunch of other stuff for free! (Over $700 dollar value)

I have spent probable $200 fixing it up. (Including fish)

You can probable find a good deal on craigslist with your parents permission for around $250 for everything. You might need to buy some things. I to have the struggle of money because I am 14.

Don't forget to cycle when you're done!

I have a 40 gal set up with a mated pair of cichlids in it. I used rock and driftwood found at one of the rivers near our house for FREE! Got on a local fish Facebook page and hour my whole tank setup with stand, light, hanging filter, gravel for $30!! So there are some serious deals you can find for various tank sizes on a page like that. So all I really had to decide on was what fish to get, food variety, water treatment, and cleaning supplies. I probably have no more than $200 invested in my whole tank set up. However I did start out with 6 cichlids, a giant danio, and a crayfish....when two of my convicts paired up and spawned I had to remove all the other fish in the tank!

I have a jack Dempsey, 2 convicts, a jewel, a giant danio, and an electric blue crayfish. One convict died (a male) fighting for the female.

Also make sure they're all as close to the same size as possible. My jack was the smallest and he got his tail chewed up constantly till I put him in his own tank with the danio and crayfish. My jewel seems to beat up everything it goes in a tank with! Even a clown knife that's twice it's size! And my cray fish got it's to large pincers chomped off by my husbands oscars ( that's how he ended up in my tank)

So carefully research compatibility! I have 3 running tanks and still figuring out who goes best with who. This is out first time have cichlids. Love it! But it's stressful when a fish is getting picked on or you have a bully on your hands. OH! Husband has a red devil cichlid - really cool looking fish but definitely needs it's own tank in our experience so far. He chewed up one my husbands oscars that was almost twice it's size as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you
Now what foods do y'all feed Iv been told new life spectrum, hikari, southern delight are these good ?
And it's cool to know the I'm not the only teenager that likes fish

Fish are fun.

Back
Top Bottom