What support fish do you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneball

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an established tank now with two chiclids, i believe a male and a female, but i was wondering if i should get a support fish in there. what would you recommend that would stay out of their way?

darn my response didnt go through. it is a 20 gallon tank with a male and a female kenyi chiclid. i am thinking about a fish to support the cleanliness of the tank.

You could get a few snails. Is the water fresh or brackish? Don't know anything about that kind of cichlid.

would snails be a better choice? ive heard that snails get out of control really easily...

You could get yourself some of the bigger shrimp. Ghost shrimp would probably be too small and end up as food, but there are some FW long armed shrimp that might do. I'm considering getting some blue shrimp for my Kribensis tank as soon as they come back in stock..

a smaller pleco like a bristlenose or some RCS would work
RCS? I feel I should know that, but I'm having a mommy moment.

According to the fish profile provided by SpeedEuphoria, "Other aggressive african cichlids or synodontis catfish." From experience as an owner of many Mbuna--20 gallons is too small to keep these fish in. You cannot add any other cichlids. I love synodontis catfish and have a few in large tanks with cichlids. Mbuna do a number on snails. I can't even keep MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails)alive and have been told they are bomb proof (but apparently not Mbuna proof!).

No fish need to be added "to support the cleanliness of the tank." When you do water changes, vacuum the gravel and your tank will remain clean.

Back
Top Bottom