What the heck happened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed something floating at the top of my mbuna tank and it turned out to be a half eaten white top hard. I think at least. It was a white top hard. I fed them this morning and everything looked fine. At least I didn't see him floating. What happened? Will they just randomly attack a fish or what. A month of two ago I found a skeleton..

It's 120 gallon tank with about 35 small/juvenile mbuna. Could it have died then they started eating him?

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1389721709187.jpg
    1389721709187.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 1389721719437.jpg
    1389721719437.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 1389721727887.jpg
    1389721727887.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 1389721736296.jpg
    1389721736296.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 88
I would start out with taking a look at your tank parameters.

After that, the next thing to look at is are there any visible issues with the fish that lead you to believe that they are diseased?

Lastly, are they doing a lot of fighting? Stocking issues with cichlids can lead to aggression which can cause fish to stress out, lowering their immune system, and make them susceptible to disease.

Parameters are good, a fish had cloud eye a couple weeks ago. I treated it and it had gone away. At least 2 weeks now since it has been gone. I haven't noticed anything. And I don't see much aggression either

Was it a male and do you have another hara male? My saulosi would do that whenever lights were out. He would harass one of the others till death even though there were females for him. As soon as any male started to mature he was dead. Maybe this case?

No clue. They are too small to tell. For me at least. There were 8 of them

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bummer. Keep an eye and if you see another fish that just stays hidden and stops coming out to eat then there's likely some hidden issue. Diagnosing and treating disease is something in terrible at. That ha also happened to me in the past and I never knew why. Like every other day there'd be a dead fish and water tested ok. And the day before one was dead it wouldn't leave the rocks. Eyes and isually the belly area eaten out likely after death.

Back
Top Bottom