Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What the hell is this??????

Ok just been staring into my frontosa tank, watching one of my females as she appeared and now confirmed is holding. Yey!!!!!!!!!

My attention then went to the state of the glass as it was looking dirty ( the sand had been kicked up and settled on it)

When I notice these critters. Look like very small white worm about 2 mm long.
Any idea what they are??? If the are a danger and how to treat. Bearing in mind my female is holding.!!!

I haven't introduced any new fish or anything. So where has it come from. The only thing I could think of is maybe the bog wood ??

Help me please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3036691708.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	74483  

Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably planaria, harmless unless allowed to take over the tank. Caused by overfeeding.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I agree with LyndaB. I suggest you google planaria ans see if the pictures look like what you have.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Found the same answer when researching. I just panicked! Lol

It's hard not to over feed per say . They are slow feeders. They eat what I put in just not straight away.

A thread I read said snails will eat them I have sand so can't vacuum . But didn't state what snails are best for the job?
Any ideas
Old 02-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A few water changes and feeding less will do the trick, you don't need snails to get rid of planaria. Some of your fish might eat them, too.

It's easy to not overfeed. I feed every other day, only fry get fed every day in our tanks. My husband used to overfeed and had lots of issues, both with his tank and his fish. He learned real quick but he's got a heavy hand. I understand.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 9 frontosa. 2 are 5inch 3 are 8-10 inch 2 are 10-12 inch and two are juvenile about 2 inch. I feed 2 to 3 white bait in the morning and a sprig of spirulina in the afternoon. Not saying you not right, but for large fish I didn't think this was a lot. ????
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had the same problem with planaria. I had to end up putting all my water in totes and change all my gravel to diff gravel. Then put all the filtered water and fish back in and everything was fine. My problem was overfeeding. Now i only feed once a day and skip sundays. It can also come from live plants newly added. Hope this helps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com