What to Breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtoZ Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Freak
I must breed some cichlids soon! Im gonna grab a 40g glass tank off craigslist for 20 dollars!!! Ill use that as my breeding tanks... 10g for fry 20g for grow out then back to the 40g when they get to a good selling size. does that sound alright or should i just put the fry into the 20g straight away or even just keep them in the 40g? And is there a mbuna out there that is super easy to breed. this is my first time and i plan on doing this for a long time in a larger scale! please help me pursue this desire to succesfuly breed african cichlids.

Kribs and firemouths are both easy to breed. However they are SA cichlids. Still very beautiful and they don't require large tanks.

Well you have a dilemma. The easiest to breed are often the hardest to sell since anyone can get a pair and breed them. They other side those that sell are often harder to breed and maintain. If your just wanting to breed anything I would try a species of aulancara. You could do 1 male and 3 females in a 40 and they would breed well and you would most likely be able to sell the offspring. My peacocks breed all the time in my show tank.

Forgot to add... I honestly dont plan on getting to many fry... and I can always bring them into work... And I will go by the rule of whats easiest to sell... is easiest to breed :) but then again I will probably do red zebras or bees or yellow labs or maybe jewels or even kenyas

Kribs and firemouths are both easy to breed. However they are SA cichlids. Still very beautiful and they don't require large tanks.

Kribs are african. Easy mistake many think they are SA/CA because they are dwarf and are often sold in the same section as SA/CA dwarfs.

Kribs are african. Easy mistake many think they are SA/CA because they are dwarf and are often sold in the same section as SA/CA dwarfs.

Oh I had no idea! They are pretty peaceful for african then haha

Oh I had no idea! They are pretty peaceful for african then haha
They are a riverine species, not a rift lake species. There are many, many, many species of riverine cichlids from africa, like hemicachromis bimaculatus, the jewel cichlid, that commonly get mistaken for south american or rift lake species

Thorichthys meeki (firemouth) is not a SA species either, they are actually from central america ;)

I want some thing that will grow fast but doesnt get to big. also I need something that can support the hobby when it comes time to sell!

A wide variety really! I can order just about anything at work and get it! in fact I ordered a cobalt blueberry ob zebra... or something like that lol and an aurora, both male, and both around 2". any suggestions made that i like the sound of. I will check the availabilty! thank you

There are some rarer pelvicachromis species besides pulcher that would breed like kribs but aren't seen in the hobby often, but they are pretty small and the 40 wouldn't be necessary for them: I still think you should go with a species of aulancara or look into the new world cichlids.

Forgot to add... I honestly dont plan on getting to many fry... and I can always bring them into work... And I will go by the rule of whats easiest to sell... is easiest to breed :) but then again I will probably do red zebras or bees or yellow labs or maybe jewels or even kenyas

I think you have the right idea. Just don't breed fish that are already saturating the market (i.e. kribs). I'd say find a niche between what YOU really like and what is not so common but popular.

There are certain Africans that you will see in almost every African tank because they're so beautiful. I would pick from that group (you listed some of them).

Try demasoni, they stay small and breed easily. Pretty popular and easy to sell.

Thats a good looking fish... they even look good at a really young age... ill keep those in mind

Except that mature adults are ridiculously aggressive and the dominant male will kill every other individual in any group less than about 12....

Check out cynotilapia afra "cobue", it's a dwarf mbuna and a breeding colony would work in a 40 gallon no problem as they only reach 3"

Back
Top Bottom