Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What to do??

We're fed up with our kenyi and its aggression. After a rescape, a time out in a bucket and then a long time out behind a divider; it is still extremely aggressive. It has bitten me several times in the past, has claimed more than a third of the tank several times forcing the other fish into a single corner of the tank, and now has picked our red zebra to death after jumping the divider. Problem is we have no room for another tank to rehome him, our LFS doesn't do trades as far as we know (its a small local place but they're pretty good) and the pet smart we bought him from (he was sold to us as a female but has colored up) is over 3 hrs away and it was almost a year ago we bought him so taking him back isn't possible or convenient. So our problem is we can't put him back in the tank because he'll probably kill everyone else, and we don't know anyone who is running a Malawi setup to give him to (also don't want to kill anyone else's fish). So what else can we do??

Sent from my XT1032 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your LFS should adopt him. Most LFS will and possibly do a small in store credit. I recently took a kenyi pair in to my LFS for the same reason. My LFS only gave us $8 but it was still something.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

If all else fails, post him for free on craigslist.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What to do??

I used to breed Kenyi's, but I stopped for two reasons, they are extremely aggressive, and I got tired of it. And they aren't worth anything anymore.
I doubt you'd get any trade credit for him, but id be surprised if the LFS wouldn't take him off your hands.
Other option next to that is euthanize, there is a few humane ways to do this. The most popular seems to be putting it in a bucket and adding Clove oil until it falls asleep and suffocates. You can also do this with Melafix, but that's an expensive route because it can take a whole bottle sometimes.
Some will say freezing is a humane way, but in truth it's really not. A SLOW freeze is humane, but takes a lot of time and work, basically move it into colder and colder buckets until it dies. The problem with just putting it in the freezer is the blood crystallizes, and then gets lodged in the brain, very painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Euthanizing the poor thing just doesn't seem like a "humane" route since he's not sick. Give it to LFS. I highly doubt that they'll refuse to take it off your hands. Petco and Petsmart will take them any time. Just don't expect money from it. I think kenyi are a PITA but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info guys. Squirrilah I think eutnanization is his fate, we had a discussion concerning him when you were having issues with your socolofi, our red zebra isn't the first he's killed, he killed our socolofi(snow white albino) and my "mystery fish" that turned out to be a C. Moorii(blue dolphin) so I don't think he can be mellowed out any. Too bad tho as we really do like him and he is beautiful but way too aggressive. *sigh* troubling times in the kingdom.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Again the pet smart we bought him from is more then 3 hours away from us so not that convenient. And I really don't think lfs will take him we do actually have a good rep with our lfs but I'm almost 100% sure trades aren't in their policy

Old 07-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #8

Chain stores normally don't take fish anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tried posting a freebie on Craigslist?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj1 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Squirrilah I think eutnanization is his fate, we had a discussion concerning him when you were having issues with your socolofi, our red zebra isn't the first he's killed, he killed our socolofi(snow white albino) and my "mystery fish" that turned out to be a C. Moorii(blue dolphin) so I don't think he can be mellowed out any. Too bad tho as we really do like him and he is beautiful but way too aggressive. *sigh* troubling times in the kingdom.

Ya that's a bummer. My socolofi has chilled out a ton since timeout. I ended up giving my Kenyi's to the LFS for free, I sold off the last of the fry on craigslist for $1 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com