Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What to do about New Tank Syndrome

I messed up and now I need to know how to save this Tiger Oscar Cichlid from New Tank Syndrome. 4 fish in a 20g tank, is it safe to start the in fish cycle now since the tank was never cycled? Or will that not even save the poor guys life?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, aside from the fact that a single oscar needs a 55g tank all to himself, no it shouldn't be too late to save your fish. You will need to test the water regularly and do a 50% water change any time that your ammonia / Nitrites rise above .25ppm.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are these 4 fish you have? Btw get the Oscar out of there right now it gets 10-14 inches long and has a huge bioload it needs at least a 55 preferably a 75 gallon.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It is never too late to start a cycle, although you are likely to have some long term effects down the road. By all means get started ASAP. What are the four fish you have and what are their sizes. As previously pointed out the Oscar really needs a much bigger tank than a 20gal, so rehoming it as soon as possible is needed.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The fish are a 1.5in Tiger Oscar Cichlid, 2in Betta, 3.5in Common Pleco and a 4in Electric Blue Crayfish. Im really upset with myself since I didn't do any research before hand. Im willing to do whatever it takes to save these fish though, so thanks for the advice.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are willing to do whatever remove all of them and restart your tank. First off the Oscar needs a 75 gallon tank. The Oscar will kill the betta and crayfish. The Pleco gets 18 inches and needs a 125 gallon tank. The crayfish can kill the betta easily you need to take back all of them and restart.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would take everything back except the betta and follow the in fish cycling or as others said take them all back and do a fishless cycle. The 20 is a great size for a male betta as the show fish then you could work with him for some tank mates.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
I would take everything back except the betta and follow the in fish cycling or as others said take them all back and do a fishless cycle. The 20 is a great size for a male betta as the show fish then you could work with him for some tank mates.
This would also work! Good idea mike!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I was little I would throw the fish right in there and I never seemed to lose any fish. I do fishless cycles now though
Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Im about to upgrade to a 75 Gallon tank so how much time would I have before these fish outgrow the tank? Would I be able to keep the Oscar and the Pleco in the 75 gallon? I understand that these fish will be way too big for the 20g but its been too long so I would be unable to return them.

Tags
new tank, new tank syndrome, syndrome, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com