What to do about New Tank Syndrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wellsbrock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I messed up and now I need to know how to save this Tiger Oscar Cichlid from New Tank Syndrome. 4 fish in a 20g tank, is it safe to start the in fish cycle now since the tank was never cycled? Or will that not even save the poor guys life?

What are these 4 fish you have? Btw get the Oscar out of there right now it gets 10-14 inches long and has a huge bioload it needs at least a 55 preferably a 75 gallon.

It is never too late to start a cycle, although you are likely to have some long term effects down the road. By all means get started ASAP. What are the four fish you have and what are their sizes. As previously pointed out the Oscar really needs a much bigger tank than a 20gal, so rehoming it as soon as possible is needed.

The fish are a 1.5in Tiger Oscar Cichlid, 2in Betta, 3.5in Common Pleco and a 4in Electric Blue Crayfish. Im really upset with myself since I didn't do any research before hand. Im willing to do whatever it takes to save these fish though, so thanks for the advice.

If you are willing to do whatever remove all of them and restart your tank. First off the Oscar needs a 75 gallon tank. The Oscar will kill the betta and crayfish. The Pleco gets 18 inches and needs a 125 gallon tank. The crayfish can kill the betta easily you need to take back all of them and restart.

I would take everything back except the betta and follow the in fish cycling or as others said take them all back and do a fishless cycle. The 20 is a great size for a male betta as the show fish then you could work with him for some tank mates.

I would take everything back except the betta and follow the in fish cycling or as others said take them all back and do a fishless cycle. The 20 is a great size for a male betta as the show fish then you could work with him for some tank mates.

This would also work! Good idea mike!

When I was little I would throw the fish right in there and I never seemed to lose any fish. I do fishless cycles now though

Im about to upgrade to a 75 Gallon tank so how much time would I have before these fish outgrow the tank? Would I be able to keep the Oscar and the Pleco in the 75 gallon? I understand that these fish will be way too big for the 20g but its been too long so I would be unable to return them.

You could put the oscar and the Pleco in the 75 and keep the Betta in the 20 but I think you would have to find a new home for the crawfish and the Pleco but not for a couple years for the Pleco

You could put the oscar and the Pleco in the 75 and keep the Betta in the 20 but I think you would have to find a new home for the crawfish and the Pleco but not for a couple years for the Pleco

So basically if I try to cycle the tank with these fish it will either kill most of them or just take a super long time and in that time they will have outgrown the 20g tank?

If I were you and if it was an option I would get the 75g asap and start doing 2 separate fish in cycles. They are lots of articles on here about it and lots of great people to help. But the longer you leave them (specifically the oscar) in the 20t its growth will be more stunted and cause the fish many health problems.

If I were you and if it was an option I would get the 75g asap and start doing 2 separate fish in cycles. They are lots of articles on here about it and lots of great people to help. But the longer you leave them (specifically the oscar) in the 20t its growth will be more stunted and cause the fish many health problems.

20g not 20t sorry my mistake

Thanks for the advice I made things happen and im getting the 75 gallon tomorrow. Have any filter, heater, typical tank equipment to recommend for that size tank?

I don't any experience with that big of a tank. All I know is most people here would recommend canister filters. Do some research online. Usually if the filter is recommended for a 75 get the next one up. You can never have to much filtration. As for heaters again i don't have experience with that large of a tank so you'll have to look that up. Also with that big of a tank you could get some more fish with the oscar. Find what you like and see if it works in Aqadvisor.com
I'm sure someone with more knowledge on big tanks will be on later to help you! Until then get some research done online!
Best of luck :)

Thanks for the advice I made things happen and im getting the 75 gallon tomorrow. Have any filter, heater, typical tank equipment to recommend for that size tank?

Oh ya and most people recommend pool filter sand for substrate available at most chain hardware stores.

My pleasure 90% of started off just like you. I was one of them ;) keep me posted

Don't keep the Pleco in the 75 with the Oscar honestly I would do a fish in cycle in the 75 with the Oscar and get him out of the 20 gallon. But as far as filtration and heating goes. Try to get a 300 watt heater, for filtration I suggest either 2 aquaclear 110s or a canister filter like fluval fx5, Rena xp4.

Back
Top Bottom