What type of cichlid should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loveforplaties

Aquarium Advice Regular
Planning on getting a new tank next month and planning on making it a cichlid tank but I'm unsure what kind im want. What's is your opinion? I've been doing some research and so far I'm very fond of jewel cichlids any information I should know about them?

Your tank size will dictate what choices you have, look around on the forums and see what other types you like since "cichlids" is way too broad. It'd help if you also list what characteristics you're looking for in a cichlid.

We'll actually the 55 gallon is for different fish. This tank I already have but I haven't set up yet is a 48 gallon

Personally I'm not a fan of jewels, ime they are very aggressive and nasty for their size.

For a cichlid only tank I would rule out keyholes (they are very passive) and angels (long fins make tempting targets).

You could go for a lake setup or have things like rainbows, firemouths, convicts, kribs and a few others which other people may suggest.

Just avoid more than one mated pair.

Personally I'm not a fan of jewels, ime they are very aggressive and nasty for their size.

For a cichlid only tank I would rule out keyholes (they are very passive) and angels (long fins make tempting targets).

You could go for a lake setup or have things like rainbows, firemouths, convicts, kribs and a few others which other people may suggest.

Just avoid more than one mated pair.

Okay thank you!

Kribs and convicts are easy enough to breed. Firemouths are notoriously difficult to sex when they are juvies, never bred rainbows so I can't comment.

All are good parents and will defend their eggs/fry.

Back
Top Bottom