what type of fish are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsheeler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys. I have bought these african cichlids and one fish kept killing a lot of my fish and i lost track of what fish is what kind. Can anyone tell me what kind of fish these are and also where they are from and if they will get along with each other? tank has been set up for awhile now and the killer fish is gone. he was rusty in color and was cheap. like 5 bucks. dont know what his problem was. anyway tank is 75 gallons. there are 13 fish in it right now. looking to get a few more for some breeding maybe. heres a few pics

also not in pics is a yellow lab and a red zebra that im sure of.

ok so these are only 2 of the fish i just gave extra pics for clarity

Attachments

• IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 88
sand the last one is a plecko of some sort

Attachments

• IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 77
first one here is what i call a parrot fish? i think. and theres a brown fish which i have no idea. the 3rd one the guy i bought it from called it a peacock. and the last one thats blueish is supposed to be an albino.

Attachments

• IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 70
last 2 fish are mahybe black zebra and i forget what the black and white striped one is called.

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 80
i think the first one you werent sure of is a damasoni? does that sound right? hes pretty small still. he has a slow growth rate. he was about and inch maybe inch and a half at the same time i got the bumblebee and they were the same size. now the bumble bee is 4 inches about and the damasoni is 2 inches tops. and thanks a lot this helps. do you know if these fish are compatable with each other? they all seem to get along but someone mentioned on here i may run into problems in the future.

i think the first one you werent sure of is a damasoni? does that sound right? hes pretty small still. he has a slow growth rate. he was about and inch maybe inch and a half at the same time i got the bumblebee and they were the same size. now the bumble bee is 4 inches about and the damasoni is 2 inches tops. and thanks a lot this helps. do you know if these fish are compatable with each other? they all seem to get along but someone mentioned on here i may run into problems in the future.

What size tank is this

the blue colored fish that was albino is a kobalt zebra. and the list i have from the fish i have bought is. Aratus, damasoni, frontosa, and hmoori. Like i said though i had a killer fish so im not 100% on which is which or even if some of those names were killed. Frontosa is maybe the one thats black and white stripes with large brain head?

the blue colored fish that was albino is a kobalt zebra. and the list i have from the fish i have bought is. Aratus, damasoni, frontosa, and hmoori. Like i said though i had a killer fish so im not 100% on which is which or even if some of those names were killed. Frontosa is maybe the one thats black and white stripes with large brain head?

The cobalt is the light blue one. The big humped head one with the black stripes is a frontosa. There is something about that blue one that threw me off but demasoni is what my guess would have been.

first one here is what i call a parrot fish? i think. and theres a brown fish which i have no idea. the 3rd one the guy i bought it from called it a peacock. and the last one thats blueish is supposed to be an albino.

the last one here is probably the moori the first one in this list is a ice blue

awesome. yea its hard to take pics of moving fish. especially when i spook them every time i try to pull out the phone for a pic. the brown one i most curious about. I had a rusty and he was like a burnt orange color. and he was the killer fish i had gotten and returned. this one is like a flat brown. i can try n get another pic if you want. she was sick recently and is still recovering. so her tail isnt all grown back yet but shes doing better.

Tank is a 75 gal.

awesome. yea its hard to take pics of moving fish. especially when i spook them every time i try to pull out the phone for a pic. the brown one i most curious about. I had a rusty and he was like a burnt orange color. and he was the killer fish i had gotten and returned. this one is like a flat brown. i can try n get another pic if you want. she was sick recently and is still recovering. so her tail isnt all grown back yet but shes doing better.

Tank is a 75 gal.

Yea I don't think that's a rusty. A rusty looks like that but they should have a little purple like tint on them. They can be very aggressive. I had one that killed a few before till someone laid him out.

In all reality a lot of those fish shouldn't be in that size tank so problems are going to keep arising. Check this
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-mbuna-stocking-dcor-hardware/

here she is. she has some striping. i feel like she is some sort of a mix breed. i bought her from a pet shop where i got all the others though.

Attachments

• IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0185.jpg
    IMAG0185.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 50
ok i think i got most of them now. Can you tell me again which one is the one thats all blue and he has the pinkish fins hes big. is he a moori? or and ice blue? and is the peacock one thats red and black and blue what is that? and the last one is the black one with a white stripe on the tips of his fins? is this a black zebra?

Back
Top Bottom