Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What type of food do you use?

My LFS sold me Omega One. My fish seem to love it. I also bought Omega One Super Color Cichlid. Is Omega One a high quality brand? I have no idea.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

YES your fine

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessa2155 View Post
My LFS sold me Omega One. My fish seem to love it. I also bought Omega One Super Color Cichlid. Is Omega One a high quality brand? I have no idea.
I don't recommend their pellets due to the amount of swelling that occurs when soaked in water, this can cause impaction to the intestinal track but their flake food is good.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

NLS but Omega One is good as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I normally use Ken's Cichlid flake & Spirulina flake, with an occasional slice of zuccini, string beans or peas. NLS is very good too. I have no experience with other brands. Avoid Bloodworms, they can lead to bloat.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I don't recommend their pellets due to the amount of swelling that occurs when soaked in water, this can cause impaction to the intestinal track but their flake food is good.
Really? Interesting...how about Hikari pellets?...unfortunately all my fish are hooked on pellets. In my Community I use Flake.
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pton46 View Post
Really? Interesting...how about Hikari pellets?...unfortunately all my fish are hooked on pellets. In my Community I use Flake.
The only pellets from Hikari I have used was their Bio-Gold line which does not swell like Omega One's, the two cases of Bloat I've personally gone through were results of trying Omega's cichlid pellets. Now my entire collection of tanks that consists of close to 1000g is fed exclusively on New Life Spectrum pellets, the type of cichlids I keep and breed are not able to survive on flake food alone.

I'm also looking into Repashy super foods currently but don't have anything other than some experience from others in GCCA, but the prospects look good.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT

The only pellets from Hikari I have used was their Bio-Gold line which does not swell like Omega One's, the two cases of Bloat I've personally gone through were results of trying Omega's cichlid pellets. Now my entire collection of tanks that consists of close to 1000g is fed exclusively on New Life Spectrum pellets, the type of cichlids I keep and breed are not able to survive on flake food alone.

I'm also looking into Repashy super foods currently but don't have anything other than some experience from others in GCCA, but the prospects look good.
I have their flake food. It's good cause it's cheap but I don't know about quality. I notice it takes my saulosi longer to eat it than other flake. The aufwuchs powder STINKS! I mean smell stinks, I made one batch and it's been in the closet since.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I feed omega one to my cichlids and never knew it swelled, they seem to love it and I haven't experienced any problems. I would like to upgrade to NLS or Hikari in the future though...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi Freak View Post
I have their flake food. It's good cause it's cheap but I don't know about quality. I notice it takes my saulosi longer to eat it than other flake. The aufwuchs powder STINKS! I mean smell stinks, I made one batch and it's been in the closet since.
Hmmm, everyone seems to have left out that detail. Have you tried any other type, as I curious of all the forumulas have that? I was mainly interested for fry only since with my schedule it's tough to feed 2-3x per day.

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com