What type of sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been given the go ahead to finally get a 125, yea!! I currently have a Fluval 306 on my 55, and I'm trying to figure out what type of filtration I want to put on the bigger tank. I keep hearing and reading about sumps, and I think I want to go that way. I don't know what type I want though. Wet/dry, Berlin.... This is going to be my African cichlids new home. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a 75 g with two turtles and a whole variety of fish. A big bio load! I would go with a wet/dry with a refugium. That what i did and it worked great. The refugium does exactly what i wanted it to. It works great. I put three plants in it: java moss,wisteria, and hornwort. And a moss ball i through in there.

Nope a sump will do the job plus some. If you add anything else to go along with it spend the money on a good pump like a mag drive for the sump. Or power heads to go into the tank

you'll still need to do water changes

I know, but I have a filter system set up now, so it only tanks me about 30 minutes to do changes only on a 55,37, and a12 gallon edge. It works pretty sweet. Not as good as yours, but it beats the 1+ hours it used to take.

I know, but I have a filter system set up now, so it only tanks me about 30 minutes to do changes only on a 55,37, and a12 gallon edge. It works pretty sweet. Not as good as yours, but it beats the 1+ hours it used to take.

Haha anything that works that cuts back on time is nice :)

Haha anything that works that cuts back on time is nice :)

Yup. I do quality maintenance work for Coke on McDonalds. I replaced a water filter system in a store. I brought the old system home, put new filters in it, ran a hose with a flow control valve on it, and it works great. Hook my garden hose to it, un the fill hose inside, and start filling while I'm vacuuming. Pour a little Prime in to make sure all is good, and hen go on to the next. I tell ya, I don't miss the buckets at all.

I use to do it the same way lol but minus the coke filter thingy. I used a inline whole home filter. Anyways now I don't use a filter on the line itself and I don't use a conditioner. (I have well water) I wanted the hard line instead of the hose because I wanted to run different lines else where in the house for tanks

Anyways I still have to use 1 half bucket on the ten gallon.

Last edited:
I was looking at a simple DIY sump, and was wondering if you can put the plants in the return portion of the sump, or do you have to have baffles in place?

I was looking at a simple DIY sump, and was wondering if you can put the plants in the return portion of the sump, or do you have to have baffles in place?

You'll need a way.from keeping them from getting sucked up. Plus then you'll not be able to have a substrate for any planted ones.

In this picture it shows you the basic wet dry filter

CPR-CR500-Wet-Dry-Filter-(Wet-Dry-Only)-99.jpg

Now this thing is only 16" long and 8" wide, what you'll make should be bigger. Now imagine the part with the bio media in a 29 gallon then you'll still have a ton of room on the other side to make a planted section that drains into a pump pit.

Hmmm what's the plans you've been looking at?
Mine is a wet/dry that drains into a planted section and moves on to a section for a pump. How long is the one your going to make?

What I'm looking at is a 10 gallon tank with out a bottom, filled with bio-balls, suspended in one side of a 20 gallon with the return pump on the other side.

What I'm looking at is a 10 gallon tank with out a bottom, filled with bio-balls, suspended in one side of a 20 gallon with the return pump on the other side.
A ten has a big footprint for just bio balls. Can you shorten it? If you can then you'll probably still have room. The problem is going to get a light on it. Idk I.can only.try.to.picture it in my head lol without it sitting right in front of me I'm not sure ill be able to figure it out

Back
Top Bottom