What would go good with a bumblebee and red zebra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently introduced a bumblebee in with my red zebra. They seem to be getting along really well. No fights or nips. The zebra is right at 3" and the bumblebee is 2.5".

What would be a good choice for my next fish in terms of compatibility? Want to make it as ideal for them as possible.

What size tank are they in? What other tankmates are in the tank with them? These fish need a minimum of 4ft to provide enough swimming room to reduce aggresion and provide enough real estate for their territories.

Its a 30gal long. There are going to be nothing else in there with them. 4-5 african cichlids.

I'm aware of what their requirements. I'm wondering which breeds are compatible.

I'm aware of what their requirements. I'm wondering which breeds are compatible.

No offense but if you're aware of their requirements then you'll understand when I say you don't have the room to house these fish. Keeping these fish without the correct m/f ratio in a small tank will lead to nothing but troubles between aggression and health.

I agree. In a tank that small, I would stick with one species.. Rustys would be ok most likely, they stay smaller. Red zebras and bumblebees both get quite large and require more swimming room... Bumblebees also get pretty aggressive as they mature... not a good combo for a tank that small IMO

I would also vote for a single species with that size tank. I've been very lucky with my cichlids not being aggressive much considering I totally stocked wrong. I am in the process of fixing my mistakes. Learn from our mistakes. :)

They're still doing just fine. No signs of aggression other than them running each other off their territory. No biting or nipping, just the occasional chase if one intrudes.

They both have their own little hiding spots they picked out. Added a little terra cotta planter today and another plant. Should give them a few more places to hide if they need to.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110317_193752.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110317_193752.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20110317_193825.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110317_193825.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20110317_193852.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110317_193852.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 93
Well, adding more fish is gonna change things. And it's just gonna get worse once those fish get bigger.

Well, adding more fish is gonna change things. And it's just gonna get worse once those fish get bigger.

Well I figure worst case scenario, I trade them into my LFS who agreed to take them in if they grow too big or get too aggressive. Or I convince my wife to let me upgrade to a 75+. I did see a 120 with stand, hood and light for $300 today.

Few months and I should be able to get a 75+. Afraid to go too large though as I live in a second floor apartment.

If they seem unhappy they will be moved, but I want to at least give it a shot.

If your set on Africans I would rehome the current residents and get a more mild mbuna like saulosi or afra cobue's and run only 1 speices with 1m to 5f.

If you were told that fish in the second pic is a bumblebee, they misled you. That's an OB.... same fish as the red zebra with different coloring.

EDIT: Here's a (not so great quality) picture from my tank. The two fish on the bottom of the picture are bumblebees...
img_1258663_0_e5196bc573378e1bbca5580f6046f383.jpg

Last edited:
Yes me and my hubby were looking at OB's yesterday. That guy looks exactly like the ones we were looking at.

EDIT: Mfd....what's the pretty cream one called :)

It's a peacock of some sort... I know nothing about peacocks, it was just thrown in with some mbuna that I got for free. I was told at first it was a strawberry peacock, but someone else said they thought it was an ivory peacock. needless to say, it has since been sold, along with the majority of my other africans.

Back
Top Bottom