What would you do? Bullying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had 2 blue acaras. Both males, or so I assume. One would flare at the other and chase it around. I want a breeding pair. I added one more that the LFS said was 70% sure was female but the bully is even chasing this one around. I was hoping to return a male to leave 2 on their own. Should I just return the bully and hope the others get along. The bully is a lovely looking fish though and I am a bit sad to have to return him as he is only doing what nature intended but then I also worry that once the bully has gone it will start again with the remaining two. Just not sure what to do.

Is your tank big enough to add a couple more fish to stop the intention on acara only, and how big is your acaras and how does lfs know they are male very hard to tell until bigger/more mature i have a few female cichlids more agressive towards other fish than some of my males

The tank is 47 gallons. I just wanted 2 but now have 3.

The bully just chases the others they can't get a moments peace.

I'm very dubious about the sexing the LFS did. I should have challenged him. I only asked if he could sex them and next thing you know I was walking away with a fish. The bully is definitely male though. The fins of the others can with fin rot but because they are always stressed I'm struggling to combat it even in pristine water. So it's hard to tell their sex by fins. The male is considerably larger than both. With pointed Anal and dorsal fins.

You need more fish if you only have 3 your always going to have aggression problems

I took the bully back but the bullied one is now bullying the new fish. What else should I put in? It's only a 47 gallon. Should I just do some dwarf cichlids? Or take an acara back and put a fire mouth in and some other cichlids?

I took the bully back but the bullied one is now bullying the new fish. What else should I put in? It's only a 47 gallon. Should I just do some dwarf cichlids? Or take an acara back and put a fire mouth in and some other cichlids?

I ran into this same problem you just have to keep trying different combinations. It's way better if you get all your fish at the same time. It's all up to you. Still you should research you next fish before making another fish see what combinations work for others at least you have a templet to work with

Back
Top Bottom