What would you do with a new 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO I think it's a little trickier than FW or SW, because you should make the salinity vary week to week, or whenever you do your water change.

If you go the brackish route, you can do etroplus suratensis or maculatus aka the green and red chromide cichlids, respectively. They are both brackish species and aren't extremely common in the hobby. You could also add a couple toxotes jaculatrix (archer fish). And then for some bottom movement, some brackish bumblebee gobies or knight gobies (one of my favorites personally)

If you go the brackish route, you can do etroplus suratensis or maculatus aka the green and red chromide cichlids, respectively. They are both brackish species and aren't extremely common in the hobby. You could also add a couple toxotes jaculatrix (archer fish). And then for some bottom movement, some brackish bumblebee gobies or knight gobies (one of my favorites personally)

I love knight gobies always wanted some. Hmm maybe I will in fact try this

There are also serval crabs that are brackish and a type of goby (not sure which) that can climb out of the water and on to driftwood

You're thinking of mudskippers, not technically a goby, but indeed brackish and they do look like one, but they need perches out of the water and the water level can't be too terribly high

I really like the chromide route to be honest, I know a LFS in Livonia that sells greens, and have seen reds available at a place in East Lansing as well as the place in Livonia and a place in Ypsilanti, so they can be found

Back
Top Bottom