Whats better gravel or sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jktrain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just wondering what would be better sand or gravel at the moment I got gravel but I think sand looks better and if sand how do I change it with out harming my fish

I think it comes down to personal preference. I've got gravel in 2 tanks and sand in 3. In my frontosa tank I had sand then gravel and now I'm back to sand. I think they like sifting through the sand more.

Def sand. After I finally switched, I'll never go back. Easier to clean and the fish love it!!!!

Bl80 said:
Def sand. After I finally switched, I'll never go back. Easier to clean and the fish love it!!!!

I couldn't agree more. (but I was trying to be a little more objective....jeesh ;-) lol

Lady_Alia said:
I couldn't agree more. (but I was trying to be a little more objective....jeesh ;-) lol

How do u change it do I take the fish out and the water

Jktrain said:
How do u change it do I take the fish out and the water

Well that I'm not sure about. I would put the fish in a tote and switch out the substrate and let the filter run till the water is clear then return fish. But I would wait and see if someone else has a better way.

I did this for my 10g tank. What I did was...

1. Take water out and put in another tank or bucket with filter on it.
2. KEEP FILTER MEDIA WET WITH TANK WATER so your benificial bacteria doesn't die!!!
3. Take all gravel out
4. Rinse sand extremely well
5. Put sand in tank and add water. You can use half old water and half new water to act as a water change.
6. Wait 2-8 hours for water to settle.
7. Put filter back on after water has settled.
8. Add fish and tank ornaments and plants ect.

*edit* if you plan on leaving your filter on the tank, make sure its off or the sand will get sucked up causeing your filter to mess up

Sounds great! But I would change one thing....rinse the sand before moving fish. Sand rinsing is time consuming. No point in stressing fish while ur rinsing sand.

Empty all the fish into a large container and keep as much water as possible. Scoop all the old substrate out and place the new in the tank after rinsing. I did this with my Malawi set up and the fish and tank looks great. Try not to turn the filter on or return the fish to the tank until the water has settled down, this could take a few hours so leave plenty of time before starting this.

P.s. Make sure to place filter in water with fish whilst in container to keep the good bacteria ticking over.

Lady_Alia said:
Sounds great! But I would change one thing....rinse the sand before moving fish. Sand rinsing is time consuming. No point in stressing fish while ur rinsing sand.

Well yes I have to agree. I was just making sure all the steps were there

o.jonathan.o said:
Well yes I have to agree. I was just making sure all the steps were there

And you did a far better job laying out the steps than I did! ;-) I just thought I'd throw in my 3 cents. lol

Spoor3773 said:
Empty all the fish into a large container and keep as much water as possible. Scoop all the old substrate out and place the new in the tank after rinsing. I did this with my Malawi set up and the fish and tank looks great. Try not to turn the filter on or return the fish to the tank until the water has settled down, this could take a few hours so leave plenty of time before starting this.

P.s. Make sure to place filter in water with fish whilst in container to keep the good bacteria ticking over.

Hmmm, not too sure but I do believe that's what I just said???

It is lol but maybe they were typing their response while you typed....or something like that ;-)

Back
Top Bottom