Whats good tankmates with mbuna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peacocks sometimes but I wouldn't recommend it, Haps is a no though.

There are tons of Mbuna IMO theres no need to mix them with other fish unless you want some catfish for the bottom.

mbuna should stick with their kind, but if there is just enough overstocking can go with any peacock, SOME (very few and u need a biig tank) haps, demasoni, maybe a few different africans if their individual personality works. i had a buffalo cichlid with mbuna for 4 months, it was only removed cos it wouldnt allow anyone to spawn lol. plus it liked eating all the other cichlids food, so i just thought nah after all that time.

plecos can work. jewels can sometimes work if the tank is big enough. i know someone with a malawi eye biter in with some mbuna, but his tank is like 150g. i also know someone with a JD in an african with mbuna tank, so its alot of luck and chance and the right care.

i agree with Mogurako, its best to stick with mbuna. but theres so many colours nd possibilities out there!!

one mbuna i am defo reccomending is the zebra, specifically OB (beautiful) or CBZ (wicked colours and personality).

speech finished :)

I got 2 Sciaenochromis fryeri and 1 Haplochromis sp "flameback" in with 3 Iodotropheus sp "rusty", 6 Labridochromis caeruleus, and a pair of kenyi.

Although all rather peaceful mbuna, if you do it right, and are willing to rehome problem fish as often ness, than any rift lake cichlids can be mixed. Even an all male tank

Aggressive behavior aside, there are dietary differences between Mbuna and Haps/Peacocks that make them not-so-great tank mates right off the bat IMO.

Buffalo heads are African riverine cichlids, like Kribs... and have absolutely no place with Mbuna whatsoever IMO.

severum mama said:
Aggressive behavior aside, there are dietary differences between Mbuna and Haps/Peacocks that make them not-so-great tank mates right off the bat IMO.

Buffalo heads are African riverine cichlids, like Kribs... and have absolutely no place with Mbuna whatsoever IMO.

Agree. Malawi bloat isn't worth it imo.

i agree now, i got it before i found this site and fully knew what i was doing. but it still done fairly well and never actually attacked any mbuna.

Thanks everyone. Anyone knows of a good spot to buy them in new York (Bronx)??

Don't hit me, but if you feed something like NLS or Omega One pellets exclusively, the dietary needs are met on both sides. I kept venustus and strawberry peacocks in my mbuna tank and all was well for about 2 years. I definitely wouldn't recommend it in a small tank, or one without much cover... but the two worked ok for me.

Agreed. I got some haps with my mbuna. And New Life Spectrum (nls) Cichlid food meets the full requirements for both groups. However, some people choose to feed their fish 'treats' like bloodworms and such, and although this is thoughtful of them, it's not required, since NLS is a complete food; but these treats aren't good for mbuna. In short, if you wanna mix, feed only a quality food and no snacks.

Hikari is a living legend for my oscars, but my mbuna adore tetra colour discs. those can be fed to a big variety of fish too.

SeverumMama, u r like mega knowledgable on here! we are not proving u wrong we are finding loopholes :p

Back
Top Bottom