Whats it going to take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best mood music for Africans? Seriously though, I have kept African cichlids for three years now, several varieties and multiple tanks? I see all of these posts about getting them to breed yet I've had absolutely NO LUCK!

Any advice would really be appreciated? The more specific the better.

Thanks for the suggestions but I've tried all of those! Hell Air Supply won't even work! Need something creative.....lol

Is this the current stock and tank size?

54g tank w/ Filstar XP 200: (1) Jack Dempsey, (1) Pleco, (3) Livingstonii, (1) Ventusus, (2) Peacock Cichlid, (2) Red Zebra, (1) Fuellbborni, (1) Aurastas

Some of those fish such as Nimbochromis venustus and Nimbochromis livingstonii don't reach sexual maturity until they're over 4" (plus they're to large of a predator for your tank), the mbuna could hybridize with each other.

Are you sure on the sex of the fish? What sizes are they currently?

Breeding rift lake fish is like breeding guppies the formula is easy, there is no secrets or tricks.

Good water quality+high quality diet+proper habitat=fry

What's the best mood music for Africans? Seriously though, I have kept African cichlids for three years now, several varieties and multiple tanks? I see all of these posts about getting them to breed yet I've had absolutely NO LUCK!

Any advice would really be appreciated? The more specific the better.

I think you need to go "Old School!" Old Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra. DooBeeDooBeeDoooooooooo. :lol:

I see one potential problem with your mixture: The Jack dempsey. This is an aggressive South American cichlid mixed in with your Africans and could be making it difficult for your other fish to breed. As for the other fish, most of the time, fish like to breed within their same specie with hybrids being the exception not the norm. If you are not trying to have hybrids, you might want to fill up the tank with a number of pairs of different fish so that the choices are more in favor of a spawning.
Make sure you have hard, alkaline water, plenty of caves and decor and a good feeding and hygiene routine and the fish should be spawning, provided that they are of age and correct gender. Otherwise, your fish will just be "Strangers in the night...... :ROFLMAO:

Hope this helps...(y)

Holy cow! They did it when I wasn't looking! I've got Red Zebra fry swimming all around the tank!

Mcass said:
Holy cow! They did it when I wasn't looking! I've got Red Zebra fry swimming all around the tank!

It always happens that way. A watched pot never boils, so to speak. Btw, congrats!

Well I had originally counted 8 but only see 7 now. It's been almost a week. Left them in the same tank and haven't seen aggression towards them. Although there is one aurustus that both the momma and dad red zebra have chased several times.

Attachments

• image-3322584283.jpg
    image-3322584283.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 97
It's been awhile since I've been on but thought I'd update. Since this first batch, my pair of Red Zebras have now spawned four more times and all fry have been accounted for. At this rate I'm going to need a much larger tank!

Back
Top Bottom