What's more aggresive Kribs or Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, Kribs are a lot more aggressive then the rams. German Blue Rams and Blue Rams (Bolivian Rams) are very nice and will usually leave everyone else alone. Unless of course they are spawning.

It's no contest , kribs are way more territorial & aggressive compared to rams . In a smallish tank , kribs & cories are a bad combo .

Kribs are at their most aggressive when they are spawning or guarding their fry. At other times they can get along with their tankmates if you have the right species. Congo Tetras shoal in the middle and upper levels of the tank and rarely get chased by Kribs. Upsidedown Catfish are also a good species for a Krib tank in my experience because they have tough skins. I would have at least a 29 gallon tank for one pair of Kribs.

How much do german blue rams normally cost? I got mine for $7 each. Is that a good price? They had them labeled as bolivan rams I think :D

They had them labeled as bolivan rams I think

There are German Blue Rams and there are Blue Rams, which are actually Bolivian Rams.

True German Blue Rams are more expensive. I bought two of them and each of them cost me $12.99. Bolivian Rams are cheaper and I believe are a hybrid. Someone correct me if I"m wrong.

That's not quite accurate, Fawn. Bolivian rams (Microgeophagus altispinosa) are a different species from Blue Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi). A strain of Blue Rams was extensively bred by German breeders to bring out the colors of the fish, and it for this reason that some of these fish are known as German Blue Rams (this is what I read before, but I can't find any collaboration after a brief internet search).

Bolivian Ram:
http://www.petfish.net/bolivian_ram.htm

Blue Ram:
http://www.fishandtips.com/displaydb.php?ID=2

Oh, and there is a hybrid form of the ram called a balloon ram. Don't know exactly what is done to breed them. I hear they're very sensitive and tend not to survive long.

They had some balloon rams in there too. I didn't get those. I'm pretty sure mine are german rams now, but they don't have that much blue and are only about 1 1/2 in big. I'm guessing they will eventually get more color as they get older. The store owner told me they were pure breds. I'm gonna get a pic. of one and post it and you can decide, k?

Back
Top Bottom