Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's more aggressive? JD? or Oscar?

I've got both and right now it seems to me like the JD is much more agressive. These are my first cichlids and I've got them in a 55 gallon. I'm thinking of moving one to my 125 but I'm worried that both will eat my tetra's! I've also got a BGK, two Bala Sharks, two clown loaches, 10 black skirt tetra's two dwarf gourami, upside down catfish and four blue rams. Am i just asking for trouble? Oh and one lonely platy.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

You have all of these fish in the same tank? Or the cichlids in a 55 and the other stuff in the 125? It will definitely become an issue as they get bigger. I don't think that JD's are particularly more aggressive than oscars, but oscars definitely get much larger.

I've never tried to keep the two together. I would avoid moving them to a community tank, they don't go well with small fish unless you plan to use them as feeders.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd say a JD. I think Oscars are way overrated for aggression. I went to a fish store once and they had a 10" oscar in with adult convicts. The cons had fry and were constantly beating up the oscar. I told the guy there and he moved it. Thats not the point but, JDs only get about 10" and an oscar can get upwards of 14". I'm pretty sure if an O and JD of the same size fought the JD would win.
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got all the fish listed in my 125. I can move the smaller fish to a 20L. I'm mainly concerned that if I move my Oscar to the 125 would he kill the black skirts about an inch long, the Bala sharks, clown loaches, upside down catfish, and angel. The neons and rams would go into my 20. The JD would stay in the 55 unless you think the JD would be better suited in the 125 with the remaining fish I listed in the tank. Sorry if I'm confusing.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonvictKeeper
I'd say a JD. I think Oscars are way overrated for aggression. I went to a fish store once and they had a 10" oscar in with adult convicts. The cons had fry and were constantly beating up the oscar. I told the guy there and he moved it. Thats not the point but, JDs only get about 10" and an oscar can get upwards of 14". I'm pretty sure if an O and JD of the same size fought the JD would win.
I mainly meant towards other fish.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jd is aggressive than the oscar, move the oscar to the 125. If he is smaller than the other fish no problem if he is bigger take a look how it,s going
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's what I'm thinking. The only fish he isnt bigger than is the bala's.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

Its a disaster in the making, big cichlids like Oscars simply don't work with small community fish. Everything will be fine then before you know it all the tetras are missing, it's just a matter of time.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I kind of expected that. You think the Bala's and everything else will be ok?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

It,s not always Treu that the oscar eat the other fish only when they fit in there mouth. It should be no problem with the bala give it a try and see wat fit the best.

Tags
aggressive, oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com