Whats my convicts up to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have what I think are a male and female convicts moving the gravel around in my tank, they are picking them up in there mouths and moving other fish away from that part of the tank.
What are they up to? Do they lay eggs?

I have what I think are a male and female convicts moving the gravel around in my tank, they are picking them up in there mouths and moving other fish away from that part of the tank.
What are they up to? Do they lay eggs?

They are clearing a spot to lay eggs. Depending on what you have in the tank with them the likelihood of them surviving the convicts wrath is slim.

No they'll likely get beat up pretty severely if they wander anywhere near the nesting site.

Best way to prevent this is to move your convicts into their own tank, sell them, or only keep one. They are pretty neat fish but once they start breeding they literally won't stop and they'll beat up/kill anything that gets too close

I had a 90G with convicts that bred. Nothing disastrous happened. But that's a 90G what size tank do you have? If its between 10-29 then you will certainly have some issues. Maybe even a 40G would have problems. In my 90 the curious fish learned their lesson and never ventured to that part of the tank. No fish died.

It's a 125 ltr tank not sure what that is in gallons. I don't have another tank to put them in, so looks like I may have to get rid, it's a shame tho cos they look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom