Whats stockable with BPs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreD

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mom has blood parrots in her room. I did a lot of research and from my understanding they can be with Acei, Convicts, and bumblebee cichlids? Non cichlids they can be tank mates with are angelfish and loaches?

It's a 40 gallon tank so loaches are out of the question. I read that their teeth are in their throats, which makes them rank low on the predatorial heiracrchy of cichlids. That being said, do any of you guys have successful tank mates for blood parrots other than mentioned above?

You can cross out acei and bumblebee cichlids since they are from Africa and have different water and food requirements. Blood parrots can reach sizes of 10in. so depending how many she has and other tank mates that 40gallon is to small for they when they are full grown. Please post the size of her fish and other tank mates.

But to your original question really any central/south american in similar size and temperament will work. Like severums, convicts( can get a little nasty when breeding),loaches and pictus cats will work for clean up crew but the list goes on and on. They are fairy docile fish so I would leave them out from the larger and more aggressive guys like jags, festae and texas cichlids.

There are only two fish all together. One is about 6.5/7in and the other is 4in.

For a 40, I'd stick with bigger bodied schoolers or larger cories with a BP. They can be somewhat aggressive, but they're relatively slow and clumsy. In a larger tank, a severum would likely work. I wouldn't recommend it, but a large angel would probably be ok as well. Angels are also cichlids by the way, just fyi.

We had a Cory at one point and there was never any problems. In fact the the bps tend to stay on one side of the tank so they problem didn't the Cory existed!

I didn't know that! I was wondering why some look like angelfish! Most likely we'll get a convict, and maybe a younger loach to eat the eggs if breeding becomes a problem. Definitely gonna try to get some angels!

Thanks! :)

We had a Cory at one point and there was never any problems. In fact the the bps tend to stay on one side of the tank so they problem didn't the Cory existed!

I didn't know that! I was wondering why some look like angelfish! Most likely we'll get a convict, and maybe a younger loach to eat the eggs if breeding becomes a problem. Definitely gonna try to get some angels!

Thanks! :)

I'm sorry. I think I miss spoke or you misunderstood. Some of the options are exclusive IMO. If you add a convict, don't add an angel. Vice versa as well. I'd avoid a pair of anything in that size of a tank unless it is set up specifically for breeding and a species only tank. No need to stock for something to eat eggs that way. And none of the inevitable problems and aggression.

As far as cories.... they need to be in a group of 6+ to be comfy.

My brother has had bps in his 120 with oscars jacks texas severums convicts and a mix of Africans for over a year. He just keeps the water conditions stable no losses. Most cichlids arnt too picky and can live happily in different conditions. Only a few species need specific conditions.

Back
Top Bottom