What's The Ugliest Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's been a little dull around the cichlid section so it's time a little fun thread regarding the ugliest cichlid.

Rules.
1. No Hybrids, I don't consider them cichlids.
2. No criticizing everyone's choices.
3. Must use scientific name.
4. Must post a picture of your choice.

Mine of course comes from the old world (since there are no ugly new world cichlids) and they are Abactochromis labrosus.

Then if this goes half way decent we'll do the opposite.

Attachments

• image-2946727959.jpg
    image-2946727959.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
I am going to have to go with Cyphotilapia frontosa. Personally, I am not a fan of head humps at all, but the stripes on the frontosa make the hump seem even more unappealing in my eyes.
Perhaps there is another species that will pop to mind later, but frontosa is one that popped to mind the fastest.

Attachments

• c-frontosa1.JPG
    c-frontosa1.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 549
absolutangel04 said:
I am going to have to go with Cyphotilapia frontosa. Personally, I am not a fan of head humps at all, but the stripes on the frontosa make the hump seem even more unappealing in my eyes.
Perhaps there is another species that will pop to mind later, but frontosa is one that popped to mind the fastest.

Have to agree hate the humps on frontosa, it's such a same they are a great looking fish when they are juvs

Sorry I can't do a picture, nor do I know scientific names, but Eye-Biters from lake Malawi(?) and Oscars. And Red Devils, and Severums

Steatocranus casuarius, also known as the buffalo head cichlid. They don't swim, so they scoot around on the bottom. The hump is weird and matches the rest of this fish, just weird!

image-2669258620.jpg

I can't stand them! Anything with a hump head really! Except fronts, I gotta say I don't mind them :p

For me, the classic Oscar. Patchy blotches of black, grey and red is just to un-symmetrical for me. Slow moving boring fish for my taste. Sorry for those who love oscars :(

The malawi eye biter is refered to as the haplochromis comprecipps. I think the scientific name was changed though.

Freakgecko91 said:
Steatocranus casuarius, also known as the buffalo head cichlid. They don't swim, so they scoot around on the bottom. The hump is weird and matches the rest of this fish, just weird!

You beat me to it.
They aren't that bad LOL
Ok I admit they are weird but I have two in my tank and they are kinda 'cute'

Attachments

• image-2144835923.jpg
    image-2144835923.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom