whats with the Electric Blue Jacks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
So my tank is done cycling and like a kid with no patience I ran off to not one but two of my favorite fish stores. Neither are nearby. one is actually roughly 30 minutes away. I grabbed a Jack Dempsey cichlid. Never had cichlid before. been wanting one. did some digging around and researching before hand. for some time I've wanted a red devil, green terror, jag, flowerhorn, or jack cichlid. wasn't sure which I'd start with. well I got a Jack. they had the electric blues, and the common jacks. The electric blues are significantly more costly. My question is this. are the electric blues natural, or is the bright blue a genetic alteration type deal? I didn't get the electric blue because of the cost, but if it isn't a natural color I don't want anything to do with it anyhow. I don't like the idea of interfering with the natural ways of things. I'm sure I could wiki this question but I thought I'd ask you fine folks instead. I trust you more.

I was told the ebjds are bred like that and are a lot harder to keep not as hardey as your normal jds

okay, so the ebjd is natural but the flowerhorns aren't? i see. I'm still glad about my choice to get a common jack. if the electric blues are less hardy then I'm better off. not to mention, I'm still not ready to buy 50 dollar fish. For a while I was only getting 1.50 fish. after a while i started getting 3 dollar fish. now I'm getting 8-10 dollar fish. that's my comfort zone for now. Cichlids4ever, you picked up a great big honkin uncle Jack! my jack is just a little jackie-boy baby. very cool looking. Your fish has lots of blue in him. that's cool.

Ok I guess I got a common jack because it was only $10. However he is about 8" now and has lots of blue! I don't know that he looks slot different that throne pictured above now. But he didn't when he was smaller.

Thats crazy my big jack is about 5-6 inches and they gave him to me for 15 bucks but this store always gives discounts lol ill walked and said how much for this guy, then he said for you 15$ is ok. lol gotta love the guy

6-8" jacks are $50 easy here! I won't pay more than $10 for a fish! He will grow in my tank.

i almost forgot how much most stores charge i went to this other down the street from me because they have this nice 4-6in male green terror i want to put with my jack and he wanted 40$ i almost had a heart attack lol

I was trying to see a better pic of your jack. He is a beautiful fish! Mine won't stay out long enough for me to get a good picture anymore.

ill take one when i put him in my tank he's in my brothers 120 gallon with a Huge managuense , black belt, black shark, and arowona so he's pretty nervous but i had to fix a leak on my tank but im leak checking it today if everything goes right ill have him in my tank this sunday

Candi, that one above is a common jack. Hmm. Maybe this place out here is trying to get rich off theirs. I got a small green terror for 10 from there. Their other prices seemed right. It doesn't matter much... 10 bucks is still my cap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is actually a debate on the origin of the electris blue trait and I know a few very reputable sources who claim that it is the result of hybridization with nandopdus haitiensis. Either way, most EBJD stock is weak and rarely lived past 2-3" before slowly withering away into nothing

There is actually a debate on the origin of the electris blue trait and I know a few very reputable sources who claim that it is the result of hybridization with nandopdus haitiensis. Either way, most EBJD stock is weak and rarely lived past 2-3" before slowly withering away into nothing

That they are. I had four little ones and now I only have one. I did have one female EBJD that topped out at about 3 1/2" and was really weak. He, at some point decided he didn't like her and killed her. He is doing fairly well, though last year he suffered a bout of HITH as you can see following. He's now 6 1/2". (I thought he was 5 1/2" but I've had a heck of an algae bloom and couldn't see him for about 9 months) Here's his pic.
img_2803094_0_d3ede4e3ee846dd421b1e49ee5df51a9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom