Whats wrong with my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
He doesn't look so hot lately. He has white spots all over an you can see his mouth. Cotton mouth? What do I do? Treat the whole tank? Maracyn plus or 2?

image-3018546349.jpg

image-870269087.jpg

image-1281432165.jpg

image-3965600628.jpg

white spots are either body slime or ick, both fatal, ick more than body slime, treat with the best meds you can get, also treat by itself if possible

That does not strike me as Columnaris, looks like it's been having a bit of a go with another fish. Clearer pictures would help, I know it's tough sometimes to get a better shot. Last are there any new additions since your last outbreak?

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
That doesn't not strike me as Columnaris, looks like it's been having a bit of a go with another fish. Clearer pictures would help, I know it's tough sometimes to get a better shot. Last are there any new additions since your last outbreak?

No new additions since the columnaris outbreak. Fry are still alive from the ones I can see. I'll try for better pics.

No new additions since the columnaris outbreak. Fry are still alive from the ones I can see. I'll try for better pics.

I've had a outbreak of Columnaris in the past losing 15 fish before I could stop it, that's not the impression I get from those shots. Especially since there is no new additions.

HUKIT said:
I've had a outbreak of Columnaris in the past losing 15 fish before I could stop it, that's not the impression I get from those shots. Especially since there is no new additions.

Stinks don't it?! I lost 15 also to Columnaris and this doesn't look like it either. Just wasn't sure of it was anything else to be concerned about. I'm gonna try and get better pics with my wife's camera. He has white patches all over his body and just that really white mouth. But I'll work on the pics.

UPDATE!

He has passed!! :(

Looked at him closely and appears to have been bitten several times. He was hyperventilating on the tank floor and I was setting up my hospital tank and was just about to add some tank water to it and he started flowing with the current bouncing off glass turning every which way :(

Can it be just battle wounds? I did lose a fish about 2 weeks ago also, I made a thread about it.

Also I do have ALOT of digging going on and 4 fish holding ATM.

If it is ick and you know for sure, a guy at a local fish shop old me this trick, turn pff the lights an turn up the hea slightly, That aparently doesnt cure it but slows the parasite from speading to others

Malawi Freak said:
I think it's time for you to switch over to RO/DI water.

I'm starting to think the same and I'm also REAL curious why the local water company WON'T test my tap water! Makes ya wonder....

This isn't over by a long shot! I'm tired of this and I'm gonna use my position to the fullest. This is just absurd!!!

Convict2161 said:
I'm starting to think the same and I'm also REAL curious why the local water company WON'T test my tap water! Makes ya wonder....

This isn't over by a long shot! I'm tired of this and I'm gonna use my position to the fullest. This is just absurd!!!

What about adding a UV?

I don't see how switching to RO water will prevent a fish from being attacked and killed, did I miss something?

HUKIT said:
I don't see how switching to RO water will prevent a fish from being attacked and killed, did I miss something?

I think since my horrible battle with columnaris and the whole water main thing and the local water department giving me the run around. You see I'm the fire chief for my town and I'm also on the county's Haz-Mat team as well as the special operations team and something isn't adding up. I think he's saying NOT to trust my tap water.

You can PM me and I can go further into it or I'll even give you my cell and I'll tell you the whole story. Something smells fishy no pun intended. But yeah I think your a little behind on what I've been through with my 75g tank. No issues with my saltwater tank (water is pre mixed from LFS) so maybe tap is bad?

I dunno. IF this past fish died of war wounds I dunno. I did lose a fish 2 weeks ago that was coated in a white milky slim, I made a thread but it wasn't too popular. I'd be happy to share my stories but I've had many deaths since the start. In total I've lost 21 fish since October.

ejaramillo01 said:
What about adding a UV?

I've read about that but so many say it's pointless. I'd need more info and have to do more research. I don't use one on my saltwater tank.

I took my uv off about 3 months ago and haven't noticed a difference.

I am still thinking RO/DI just to keep things consistent. Of course if you switch over then you will absolutely need a buffer since it will be stripped of all hardness and capability of holding hardness.

Back
Top Bottom