What's your best guess on this angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Funteacher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
You'd think I'd have learned by now, to record the fish details when I purchase them, but alas-I didn't. I'm writing labels for my classroom tank and want to be as accurate as possible. Does anyone have a good idea about what kind of angel this is? I've had him about 4 years.

Attachments

• Angelfish.jpg
    Angelfish.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 138
No guesswork here, it IS a Zebra Angelfish. The faint middle bar makes it a Zebra. ( a.k.a a Silver with an extra stripe. ;) )

That is a very misleading pic and it should have been removed as I have shown the original poster of that pic numerous females that I breed that show the split fins as well as other traits that pic describes as males. (including the head bump)
With today's Angels, many of them no longer show the "standards" for gender identification. Only their breeding tubes can give you a 100% ID. If you were talking about wild fish, even then, that fin is not the one that helps identify gender.
Truth be told, that fish is probably too small to sex but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd lean more towards male than female. I wouldn't put money on that bet however. ;)

That is a very misleading pic and it should have been removed as I have shown the original poster of that pic numerous females that I breed that show the split fins as well as other traits that pic describes as males. (including the head bump)
With today's Angels, many of them no longer show the "standards" for gender identification. Only their breeding tubes can give you a 100% ID. If you were talking about wild fish, even then, that fin is not the one that helps identify gender.
Truth be told, that fish is probably too small to sex but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd lean more towards male than female. I wouldn't put money on that bet however. ;)
You're probably right. In my lifetime, I only had angels for like 2 years and a pair did mate. But I could never guess who's the male and who's the female till they mated. When I looked at that picture, I thought it makes some sense. But I'm still not 100% sure if it's true. So either way, his zebra angelfish is beautiful. [emoji4]

Take that picture and throw it out the window. The only thing correct about it is the shape of the breeding tubes. I have seen that picture before and marveled at how wrong it is. It is a shame how much bad information can be propagated by the Internet. I don't know who originally posted that picture, but I got the impression it was some 10 year old kid that didn't know anything about angels.

Actually If I were to speculate, I would say that your Zebra Angel is a male. But I am far from an expert and it is difficult to sex angels from one picture.

Over my career as a breeder, I've had over 400 pairs of Angels over a 50 year span and very little from that picture holds true for any of them. I wish it could be removed from the internet so that it stops confusing people. Sadly, it's just another example of how what you see on the internet is not always a reliable source. :(

I do agree with you both on so many bad info provided by the Internet. And by the responses I get of this picture, I can definitely say that the Internet is not the best source of truthfulness. We have to ask the experts instead. ?

Back
Top Bottom