Whats Your opinion on Parrot Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Through the trade there is a cichlid that is debated by many aquarist, its has a aggressive streak in it that could ruin an aquarium, many new aquarist are attracted by it nice looks and cute face that cant even close, expert aquarist probably know to stay away from them, but could they come back to these unnatural fish. I wrote this tread for a reason, to see what the forum thinks about these cichlids. :thanks:

Even if they were natural, I would't have one... I like that mean cichlid face.. They make me think of goldfish..

They remind me of goldfish too. Its ridiculous how much pet stores charge for these guys! 25$ each is stupid.

more importantly, these guys will tell you because I learned it here.. we're losing natural fish species to the breeding, buying and selling of hybrids.. I didn't know this when I bought my OB peacock.. I've come a long way from thinking "mixed cichlids" meant a mix of different cichlids at a certain price. I can't believe chain stores sell hybrids, but I guess that's what happens when breeding lines get muddier with time. I have my OB and love him, (or her) but won't buy a hybrid again.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130718_005514.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130718_005514.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20130718_005750.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130718_005750.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 88
This thread has shown up a dozen times and I'm sure someone will eventually link the old ones into this one. It's an old and worn out debate that ALWAYS end with the thread being closed.

With that being said, I see them having NO place in the hobby and are abominations. They should not be bred, nor continued in anyway, and are devastating natural species. For example, a tue Midas (amphilophus citrinellum) is incredibly hard to find, red devil (amphilophus labiatus) too. They have been hybridized so much, and muddied so much that most captive bred of either species are midevils, a hybrid of the two. Amphilophus trimaculatus is growing increasingly rare due to its contribution to the flower horn bloodline, another hybrid I DESPISE as it is highly priced for a fish lacking the beauty of NATURE.

I don't hate them and liking them isn't bad. IMO, what's bad is eelling them.

This thread has shown up a dozen times and I'm sure someone will eventually link the old ones into this one. It's an old and worn out debate that ALWAYS end with the thread being closed.

With that being said, I see them having NO place in the hobby and are abominations. They should not be bred, nor continued in anyway, and are devastating natural species. For example, a tue Midas (amphilophus citrinellum) is incredibly hard to find, red devil (amphilophus labiatus) too. They have been hybridized so much, and muddied so much that most captive bred of either species are midevils, a hybrid of the two. Amphilophus trimaculatus is growing increasingly rare due to its contribution to the flower horn bloodline, another hybrid I DESPISE as it is highly priced for a fish lacking the beauty of NATURE.

Have to agree on the flowerhorns too, just not my style.. can't beat mother nature... luckily by the time the lfs offered one of those I had done my research...

I don't hate them and liking them isn't bad. IMO, what's bad is eelling them.

No, liking them is in my opinion bad. If you truly love the hobby and the species available, then preserving them for future generations of fish keepers should be the goal at hand, not creating a frankenfish for your own amusement. Hybrid fry should be culled.

Red Texas
Flowerhorn
Rose queen
Blood parrot
Midevil

They all have a hand in crippling a species in the hobby due to the carelessness and greed of certain people. For whatever reason, these hybrids bring in big bucks, and people continue to breed them to profit of them. Several species get thrown under the bus just to have these individuals make money. It's wrong.

I understand your stance and agree. I've already agreed that profiting from it is wrong. I will admit that my (most tanks) tank is stocked in a way that hybrids could happen. At the moment anyway, I will soon be trading the fish I believe to be female... Anywau, I feel if they don't leave my home then I'm doing my part... Along with not buying any more...

I am no fan of parrot cichlids. They look like something a child created and I am amazed that they are capable of surviving for more than a few days.

If by "Parrot Cichlid" you mean Hoplarchus psittacus then I think they are a cool fish that I've considered getting some for awhile. If you meant Blood parrots which I suspect you did, then I dislike them.

All off topic and flaming posts have been removed. Please stick to the topic at hand and no more flaming or thread will be closed and offenders will be penalized.

Back
Top Bottom